65 Valiant cheap windshield seal

-

wh23g3g

Reaction score
I know this is hard to expect but I'm looking for a cheap windshield seal on my 65 Valiant 4-door for the front windshield. I've only checked EBAY and they're $100 with shipping. Year One doesn't carry it or much anything for a 65. I'm having a very hard time just finding a new windshield for it my area of Atlanta. I did find one though, but the guy gave me an insane price, so ridiculous I won't even say how much. I'm not even sure if the seal is the problem but the windshield is cracked. The seal itself is still soft and pliable and I don't notice any cracks on it. But it is leaking, that could've also been because we took out the dash with the windshield still in and probably shifted the seal around a little, so it's coming through the corner. Do the seals usually have to be replaced? Where is the absolute bottom line cheapest place I'll find one? I'm just trying to make this car work, not try to impress.

If the rubber is still soft, I wouldn't replace it. First, try "flowable silicone". You can find it at most auto stores and even hardware stores, next to other silicone RTV tubes. It is marketed mainly for sealing windshields. Pull back the rubber with a putty knife and clean well with water, then alcohol. Wait a few days to dry if needed. Squirt it all along the crevice. It seems to have worked for me on a few cars. If not, you can escalate with other sealants. One that works good on trailers is butyl rubber caulk. I think you can get it in black caulk tubes. There are also solid butyl rubber strip products. Butyl rubber stays flexible for years. I think that is the adhesive gasket they use on new cars.

The seal itself is still soft and pliable and I don't notice any cracks on it. But it is leaking, that could've also been because we took out the dash with the windshield still in and probably shifted the seal around a little, so it's coming through the corner. Do the seals usually have to be replaced?

HOW???

There is no way to get the dash out correctly without taking the windshield out first. If you got it out with the windshield in place, then you probably did mess up the seal.

Actually I didn't do it I just helped get the dash out. It was basically the start of removing the windshield. We used wood shims to pry up the rubber seal enough to get in a flex drill bit with the correct socket on the end and it took probably 15 mins to get out all the screws. It definitely didn't hurt the seal, it is still soft and pliable not hard in any areas. Since we were using flat wood shims it didn't cut anything either. I too thought there was no way to get it out without removing the windshield but my friend said he could do and he did. I was amazed. It's ok now because I'm going to replace the windshield when I find one so I'll just bolt it back up when they remove the windshield, it's ready to go in.

Just inspect the seal real good and if it isn't cracked up or split, then it will be fine. You will need a tube of sealer though, NOT urethane and NOT silicone.

The windshield is the same on 64-66 A-Body's the 4dr wasn't different till 67 I have a fair used one I would sell cheap if you were close to St.Louis.

I don't remember what I paid for mine (64 Barracuda) because it's been a while. I do remember that I got it as a '64 Dart. Same with the windshield. They had them listed for dart but not Barracuda. I think my new windsheild was $100

I have one , brand new . I will get a pic when I get home tonight . PM me if you want it . It is made by Precision . $70.00 shipped .

Thanks,

Steve

-
Back