65 Valiant headlight dimmer turned, gauges go all the way up?

-

wh23g3g

Reaction score
I just had my temp, fuel gauge, and voltage limiter redone by Instrument Specialties about a year ago. Also the speedometer and the ammeter was replaced with an NOS they supplied. I also have changed the dash harness with one from Year One probably been two years on that. The engine harness/light harness under the hood is also from Year One. Everything works right. But when you turn the headlight switch to brighten the dash lights the fuel gauge seems to go all the way up or at least half way. I always quickly turn it back down because I don't know if it's burning my gauges up. I thought it was doing it to the temp gauge but it didn't when I tried it today after swapping out the headlight switch under warranty. I noticed when I plugged in the headlight switch the terminal on the switch marked P had no wire in the harness. What's that for? Any ideas what I need to check?

Some versions had a ground wire for the switch. Not sure if yours is one of those.... Any chance you have a circuit board issue?

Sounds like a cluster grounding issue. The clusters are originally grounded by the mounting screws, which is poor Install a dedicated ground pigtail wire and bolt it to the column support or dash frame

I call instrument specialties to get some tech help on the issue. I asked him if the circuit board could be the issue. He said he doubted it would be in the circuit board. That it seems it's in the wiring. That's all they really told me. I know the cluster is grounded to the frame. Do I just make a ground wire and put it on one of the bolts for the cluster and run it to the dash frame?

-
Back