65 valiant small block turbo build

-

V8-valiant

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm working on collecting parts to start a turbo build this winter. I was wondering if you guys can tell me options I've got to control the timing on this thing. I'm looking to start with a budget turbo build to see how far I can take it on a stock motor. I will then build a turbo motor to take a little more abuse after I get my feet wet and have an idea the to do's and not to do's on this low dollar build. I was looking for a recommendation on who to contact about a custom grind cam I have tried bullet twice and they are not getting back to me. Any other people you all recommend? I'm looking at a blow through bare bones set up. I do like the idea of pulling timing under boost but was curious if there are any other options out there.

My cam was reground by Oregon camshaft. Not sure if they have any turbo specific profiles but you could call them up and explain what your goals are and they could probably recommend a profile.

Think comp cams can do a turbo grind, hughes might. As far as timing look at msd for their boost box gets wired with their regular boxes. CSU can do a blow through carb or buy one from them, or the carb shop can modify a carb you have.

Ok guys I got ahold of Mark at bullet cams and this is what he recommended.

I WOULD RECOMMEND THE FOLLOWING CAM FOR THIS APPLICATION

CRA 282/282 H115+5

INTAKE MASTER (H282/3334) AND EXHAUST MASTER (H282/3334)

DUR AT 050 (230/230) AND LIFT WITH YOUR 1.50 ROCKERS WILL BE (.500/.500)

LSA 115 AND DEGREE IN THE ENGINE AT 110

THANKS, MARK

I don't think the factory stamped rockers will withstand the cam. Does anyone have a suggestion on rockers to run?

If you're going low budget, just run the stock cam, but if it's fucked, that's a good conservative cam for a turbo.

Although I have a split duration 218/224 in a stock bottom end 318 mag. Use 360 heads and shave the pushrod pinch a little. Magnum exhaust manifolds are good with an Abodies engine bay. Use whatever rocker you have. Stock stamped steel rockers are ok at that lift with 1.5

But the cam and valve train is the easy part...

You need to be thinking about fuel and spark. Most people use a carb and a large fuel pump Or go FI and spend some money. Timing can be controlled by using a BTM and a mechanical advance only dist. Or a HEI 9 pin that when a pin is grounded it retards timing by 10 degrees, use with a Hobbs switch in intake. Or just lock out the distributor and lean a little on a smaller turbo that will boost quickly.

-
Back