65 valiant top. Top seems to small. Normal?

-
Reaction score
2nd top ordered. Both seem too small. Do they need to be stretched? Bout 1-1/2” short on both sides and contour seems off for rear triangular windows

276D3A05-2C32-477A-97F5-36230B146AAB.jpeg

Just out of curiosity, what brand is that?
I'll probably be ordering soon.

Its been so long since I have replaced a top but I did just install a Bestop fabric camper top on my Tacoma and the sides were 1-1/2" short on the sides for the windows to zip in. I was working in my garage and it was 60 degrees. I got my infrared propane fish house heater and warmed the fabrid (be careful if you do this as the heat can destroy the top very quickly if your not careful). After it was thoroughly heated, I was able to get the zippers engaged. Now even when cold I can remove and install the zipped windows. So my guess is that it needs to be a bit warmer but I would call the manufacturer before you do anything rash...like listen to my advice or return it.

This is a Kee top. Just returned an EZ ON top for the same reason. Starting to think I’m the problem, not the tops! I have it sitting a few feet away from my pellet stove draped across stools now. Seeing a lot of talk about steaming online. My installer is a 2nd generation upholsterer and is scratching his head. Was hoping to get answers here, but I’m glad if my journey turns out to help others. I’ll keep you guys posted. Thx for all input guys. So you know… the Kee and Ez on are very similar quality however the ez on was a slightly brighter white if that matters to any restorers

Bein in Delaware, It's probably cold as a witch's tit in a brass bra, so yeah, it's probably a little small. Wait till warm weather, OR get a heat gun after it......but be damn careful if you do.

My Electron top ( out of NY) had excess material front and quarters.

They even were able to reuse my OEM rear glass.

67 dart.

Wish I had ordered an electron. Top is complete but it’s a bit shy at the bottom corner where it meets rear triangle window. I hope this helps the community!

B2938A5C-5EDA-4AD6-8F2F-473BD812BF10.png

C9CC29AD-164F-4EB8-B7E2-483096676BE0.jpeg

A heat gun is only going to heat up a small area, you need the whole top warm so it can expand evenly. Set the car outside on a sunny day, south side of the garage, windows up.....

Wish I had ordered an electron. Top is complete but it’s a bit shy at the bottom corner where it meets rear triangle window. I hope this helps the community!

View attachment 1716071539

View attachment 1716071540
it is supposed to be on that bottom corner, that is so when you drop the top that part can bend with the top and flex. It should be free and not anchored to the trim also, about 3-6 inches or 2nd or 3rd screw depending on the brand of the early A ,darts are a deeper cut that valiants) tucks inside to allow for free movement and so it doesn't tear in that area. that's going to look NICE on that car.

I got my top from eBay looks like size is perfect, too bad I’m a terrible installer, work in progress but I think i ruined it

Thx for your input Dart guys. Now that I know that the bottom corner is the way it should be, … my next challenge is figuring out the drain tube

-
Back