-

1olddmf

Reaction score
will SBD 340 headers from 67 -72 A body,
fit into 65 valiant 340, 4 spd.
headers in question are patriot long tube,
no pwr stg, no PB, No AC,
thanks

NO , early a-body only will work , under chassis are TTI or Dougs.

Nope they sure won't. Layson's sells what used to be Spitfire headers. They're a shorty header for the early A with the small block. They have no collectors, so it's up to you to attach them to the exhaust "however" you want. You probably need to be sitting down for the price.

Early A 4-speed with a mild 340 and manifolds is a very fun ride . I built my second 340 early A and current car 24 years ago. Its still a blast to drive.

Nope they sure won't. Layson's sells what used to be Spitfire headers. They're a shorty header for the early A with the small block. They have no collectors, so it's up to you to attach them to the exhaust "however" you want. You probably need to be sitting down for the price.
Last I read they were in the $800 range

Hooker makes fenderwell headers too, many here have them and other companies made them as well. When you start talking headers on a 63-66 car it’s gets may more expensive and a lot more work to install too.

Yeah, last time I looked, TTIs were in the $800 range. In my case, I sold the early 340 manifolds I had on the car for enough money to buy the TTIs.

Installing the passenger side TTI header was pretty straightforward. Had to move a few things around on the driver's side (mostly brake lines and electrical wiring, with slight mods to the clutch linkage). Despite all that, I was impressed with the fit. The early A body engine compartment is significantly narrower than the 67-later. Narrow enough that even factory exhaust manifolds and head pipes are difficult to fit.

They fit like a glove once installed but are a PITA to do so , also gotta remove both torsion bars for install.

With no P/S, I tell you what I'd put on it. I'd put Magnum manifolds on it. I'm not 100% sure they fit, but I think they do. Maybe someone that's done it will chime in. The big outlet Magnum manifolds outflow the 340 manifolds.

With no P/S, I tell you what I'd put on it. I'd put Magnum manifolds on it. I'm not 100% sure they fit, but I think they do. Maybe someone that's done it will chime in. The big outlet Magnum manifolds outflow the 340 manifolds.
I believe they do fit, there is a thread. I believe it takes a cut down steering column and grind on the drivers side manifold some. Maybe a few shims on engine mounts.

-
Back