65 Wagon Front And Rear Brake Question

-

SD65WAGON

Justin
Reaction score
Alright......I might just be dumb *** but.....
Not my first "old" car with drum brakes but I cannot seem to remove the front brake drum off either side of the wagon...
Took the rims and tires off, removed the wheel bearing cap and wheel bearings, loosenes the brake adjustment even though wheels turned freely before and tried to beat the drums off to inspect brakes.....no joy. liquid wrenched the areas around the lug nut stems and wheel bearing hub and let it sit for 20 or so minutes then proceeded to turn drums and beat them with ball peen hammer as I turned.......no joy. put **** back together and proceeded to computer for insight from forum.....
Wondering if I forgot something or If I should just go buy a hanes or chiltons and put my service manual away...or have my wife go back out and pull my man card......Son of a *****.
Gonna go out an work on my 66' FJ 40 just to feel good about myself again.
Seriously just wondering if I missed something . Thanks

Alright......I might just be dumb *** but.....
Not my first "old" car with drum brakes but I cannot seem to remove the front brake drum off either side of the wagon...
Took the rims and tires off, removed the wheel bearing cap and wheel bearings, loosenes the brake adjustment even though wheels turned freely before and tried to beat the drums off to inspect brakes.....no joy. liquid wrenched the areas around the lug nut stems and wheel bearing hub and let it sit for 20 or so minutes then proceeded to turn drums and beat them with ball peen hammer as I turned.......no joy. put **** back together and proceeded to computer for insight from forum.....
Wondering if I forgot something or If I should just go buy a hanes or chiltons and put my service manual away...or have my wife go back out and pull my man card......Son of a *****.
Gonna go out an work on my 66' FJ 40 just to feel good about myself again.
Seriously just wondering if I missed something . Thanks

Probably didn't miss anything more than a big ridge on the drum where the shoes don't wear out the lining. Check the back of your man-card for the proper BFR (brute force ratio) needed to remove stubborn drums. It should be right under the arm torque specs for tightening lugnuts with a 4 way. Seriously, the penetrating oil should help around the center hub of the rear axle, and I usually spin the drum around in 90 degree intervals and give them a rap or 2 with the hammer, and if their really stubborn I'll get my bro to rap them while I wiggle them off by grabbing the back. Good luck, Geof

Thanks Man,
I Will Try That On The Rears Tomorrow, And Re Attempt The Fronts As Well. Will Keep The Forum Posted As To Progress (hopefully) Or Else Im Gonna Trade In For A 78 Pinto

Have you backed off the adjuster star wheel enough? If the shoes groved the drums bad enough you may have to turn that little adjuster a lot of turns.

I may not have turned the adjustment out far enough.......Thats a REALLY good recomendation. I had not thought that the brakes would have worn a grove into the drum, Well actually I would never imagined that someone ( previous owner) would let the neglect get that bad that there would be an opportunity for a grove that deep to form..........DEFINATELY will back the adjustment out ALOT farther tomorrow at the Base AutoHobby shop. Thanks for the Idea........On that note though does ANYONE know where to get a good set of drums and shoes for this in the event that these are so bad that they cannot be turned?

That would be great... I just need to see what size the fronts are. I found out today the rears are 10" drum ........Trying to figure out correct set up right now with another post.....Shipping would be to san diego. Thanks

-
Back