66 Barracuda 3 Speed

-

demondaddy

Reaction score
My Friend Just Purchased A 66 Barracuda With A 6 Cyl And 3 On The Tree.the Trans Needs Rebuilding/replacing.can Anyone Tell Which Trans This Might Be,and Maybe Some Parts Sourcing?this is a manual trans.

If you can wait till Spring, I'll be pulling a slant and 3 speed manual out of a 65 Valiant. Motor/trans free for the taking.

Does this trans need rebuilding because the syncros are shot on 1st gear? If that is the case, no worries. It never had any to start with. Syncros on 1st gear didn't come along until '67 or '68. If you are worried about the whining in 2nd gear, that's pretty much normal. These trannys have been around since the 30's. FWIW I have a 3 speed that I swapped out of a '66 Valiant in favor of an OD 833. Gives me 1st gear syncros and overdrive for my 3.55 gears. When searching for a replacement bear in mind that '66 was the first year for a slip yoke output. '65 and older had a ball and trunnion setup. A 3 speed from a newer model (70 ish) will bolt right up and have 1st gear syncros. Hope this helps.

-
Back