66 Barracuda front seats

-

65 Dartman

1 of None 65 Dart Sedan Delivery
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I thought the 66 Barracuda front seats came with the hard plastic cover for the seatback the same as the 66 Dart GT. In looking over the 66 I got home last night, I see that the seat resembles the 65 with the upholstered back cover (although the upholstery pattern is for a 66). The Legendary catalogue doesn't mention a seat back panel for the 66s. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Seats as in bucket seats. 66 and 67 Barracuda had steel back panel laminated with vynil. I have 1 of those from a 66 here. Delux interior got a small piece of carpet at the bottom of the back (toe kick area).

I agree with others - the standard has the hard plastic back. Maybe early models didn't have it - or a PO did some changing to your seats.

Thanks for the replies. I've determined that a PO has swapped the 66 interior (front buckets and rear fold down) out for a 65 . Guess I'll be looking out for a set of 66 buckets, preferably with the black back. I have a set of blue 66 Dart buckets but am thinking of using them in my 65 Dart wagon as I understand they are narrower than the 65s and I would like to use a buddy seat between the buckets.

Thanks for the replies. I've determined that a PO has swapped the 66 interior (front buckets and rear fold down) out for a 65 . Guess I'll be looking out for a set of 66 buckets, preferably with the black back. I have a set of blue 66 Dart buckets but am thinking of using them in my 65 Dart wagon as I understand they are narrower than the 65s and I would like to use a buddy seat between the buckets.
I shouldn't pry but this "buddy seat"... why so much interest in those things ?

I shouldn't pry but this "buddy seat"... why so much interest in those things ?

I happen to have one in the same interior color as the Dart wagon so I thought it would be ideal to fill up the empty space between the seats plus makes a great armrest (and wife can use it as an armrest also lol).

I see. :)
The center armrest like fold down of a bench seat is handy. More comfortable than the left elbow pad for sure.
It's my understanding that van seats are built on the same frames as a-body seats. I cant testify to that.
The hard backs and dress shields are steel with vynil glued on. Repairing scars and dying to color match is possible too. Good luck

OK I may be waaaaay off base here but..
Something is not right about this picture (2 pieces on right dont appear to match)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...60175721053&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:MOTORS:1123
or begs to question, Seeing as some "claim" seat frames are wider or narrower for certain year model a-bodys and want to fit a buddy seat which is mentioned in the discription...
Is it possible that a special seat track was used to shift the passengers seat to the right ?

I'd have to do some digging to look at them, but I seem to recall there was a difference from side to side on the tracks for my 4 speed '64. I think one was shaped different to clear the hump, & it seems that one of the seats didn't sit level when you set them on the ground with the tracks attached.

On those seat tracks the mounting studs appear to be too far apart for a 64/65 A Body. Just measured mine on my 65 Valiant and the studs are just about 11 inches apart. Also the outer track IS taller than the inner track and the seat is leaning towards the inside when sitting on the floor. Once I tried to fit a set of 66 Dart buckets in a 65 and the stud spacing was too wide (66 was farther apart by well over an inch). For what it's worth, the spacing for the mounting studs from a power seat rack from a driver's seat from a 68 Chrysler Town and Country wagon fits both a 65 Dart and Coronet perfectly.

-
Back