66 barracuda gas tank won't come off

-
I recently did this on the same early abody and it worked. Basically what everyone else has said...
You have to break the crud bond between the filler neck and the filler to tank gasket. It acts like an epoxy. Fifty years of thermal cycling and exposure to all of the different fuels leaves the gasket stiff and stuck.
To break that crud bond, I pulled up the trunk floor flapper gasket, stuck something with a small diameter like an awl or small flat screwdriver between the filler neck and the gasket into the tank and sprayed penetrating oil into the opening. Once you brake through the crud in a line from the outside to the inside, the penetrating oil will begin to creep. Working your way around and wiggling the filler will certainly free it up. Deep Creep works really good. I hope this helps

You gotta look at that union like a radiator hose on a radiator nipple! Rubber tends to really fuse itself to metal over time, so you have to break that bond! If you're going to work on the Duster for awhile, keep spraying the filler neck pipe, and access that area through the gasket on the package floor as suggested above, especially if you're removing that carpet anyway!! Don't let that gas tank kick your butt, you're the bigger man here!! Just some words of encouragement! Geof

-
Back