66 barracuda Gauges Peg when I turn on the switch..Help

-

blue66cuda

Reaction score
I have a 1966 Barracuda with a 340 4 speed. Just got my car back from having some serious work done. Refurbished gauges, new 4 speed conversion and various cosmetic work.

Went pick up my car and it ran like crap. My mechanic figured out it was a bad rotor cap.. all burned up. Put another one in and it ran great for 20 or so miles ( until I got home) and then started acting up again. I took off the distributor cap and the rotor tab/ metal was bent and scored black. I bent it back and put it in the car and it started fine and idled ok. I realized that I have a serious problem somewhere so I'm not going to drive it until I can get it look at. I'm not a mechanic, just love these cars so any ideas on what's going on would be great. My mechanic is off for the next two days.

Anyway, Went out this morning to start it up and it cranked right up but all the gauges pegged full on so I turned it off immediately. Like I said these are new gauges and I have a new wiring harness as well. Don't want burn them up. Anyway, don't know if all this is related but it's happening at the same time so it makes me wonder.

I really need to know what's causing my gauges to peg when I turn on the switch. I can't drive it to my mechanic or to my garage even until i get this figured out. Gas and Temp peg when I turn the switch back or forward but dont' start the car. Gas Temp and oil pressure all three peg when I start the car and seem to peg faster as well.

If anyone has any ideas I could sure use some input.

thanks

Blue66cuda

I would disconnect the positive field wire to the alternator temporarily, start it up and see what the gauges do. The main regulator is probably not regulating causing the alternator to put out max voltage. You may want to measure it with a voltmeter to be sure.

-
Back