66 Barracuda wiper motor testing

-

amx364

Reaction score
Bench testing of wiper motor with yellow wire to both ground and power is not the best idea. Wire gets hot and wiper does not run. I believe that the manual may be wrong on bench testing. So for 66 variable speed motor how do you bench test the wiper motor? Also broke the switch at power feed connection. Any rebuilders?

Any wire connected to both ground (-) and power (+) will get hot and burn up!

The test suggests connecting yellow wire to case ground strap, and connect ground strap to battery -. Power is applied by jumper red to black, and a jumper from that to Battery +. If the motor or linkage is not stuck it should rotate.

The wiper switch has a built-in circuit breaker, so without it, other means of circuit protection is a good idea.

A bit more about the wiring mystery:
The variable speed and reverse direction are most likely done by motor field control. For low speed and starting field and motor armature are separate and are connected to full battery voltage, the potentiometer decreases field current, and increases motor speed. Some field must always exist, without it the armature current would be great, since no back emf to reduce it. So make sure the black and red are connected together!
Reverse is done by changing polarity of the field.

The FSM also suggests a continuity test at various points. I suggest doing it first to make sure the field has continuity.

Sending wiper switch for rebuild from JS Restortions. Was concerned on his health and if he was still around. He did reply back to my email. [email protected]

Got the wiper switch back rebuilt some time ago.

Now Ted Mazurek [[email protected]] has replyed, after 6 months that he had the information needed to restore the Variable speed wiper motor, after he did one on a B-Body.

Attachments

• 2013-10-27-1 rebuilt variable speed switch.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 182
-
Back