66 barracuda

-

cuda65vpt

cuda65vpt
Reaction score
Hi, I just acquired a a 1966 Barracuda with a 318 automatic, floor shift. I am in need of a tailshaft housing for the transmission, the mounting tabs for the floor shifter are damaged. I got the original engine with the purchase but it is out of the car and questionable at best. there is a 318 engine in the car that has the following casting numbers 5M318 08080731. can anyone decode year of this engine and tell me if the original valve pans and intake will fit on it. I don't care if my car isn't original, but I would like to make it look original if I can. What I have now is a bunch of plugged vacuum lines hanging out all over the place.

66 018.jpg

66 003.jpg

too bad you are so far away...I have a 273 that I have no idea what to do with. It won a best stock engine last year and it was the engine i used up until I got a wild hair and decided to match the vin code by putting a slant six in it. I had the trannie too but I gave it to Fort Dodge Transmissions. The best place I've found as far as finding hard-to-find peices is Texas Acres.

I looked on the net for your casting number and can't find it. Here is a link that has a list of mopar casting numbers if that helps any. http://www.mymopar.com/enginecastnumb.htm

Sorry guys, I just realized that isn't the casting number, It's the vin-serial number stamped on front below the driver side head.

I hope you find what you need soon!!!:cheers:
That sure is a Great car congratulations cuda65vpt=P~=P~

I would say the motor looks like a late 80's 318. It has the offset thermostat outlet and the valve covers are black. On the drivers side (I think) just above the starter is the casting date, either there or on the passenger side. A late 80's 318 is not a bad engine - since it already has the small chamber swirl port heads on it and has a hydraulic roller cam in it. Port the heads and throw a racier roller cam in it, flop a 4 bbl on top and you have a nice street cruiser.

To answer your question if it is a non magnum motor - all your 273 parts will bolt on, valve covers intake etc.

It looks like it has some of the correct stuff on it already.

-
Back