66 barracudas 273 both leaked oil?

-
Where are the leaks coming from? Yea, they're supposed to leak from there!

I have two 273's also. One is a Commando and right now I am working on removing the intermediate shaft so I can have my wife spin up the oil pump while I look for the leak. It seems like it could be the rear main seal. Once I get this blasted intermediate shaft out I'll find out for sure! My other one does not leak, but the steering box leaks a little. Leaks and rattles bug the crap out of me. The only rattle on my Commando is the floor console rattling when I fire it up with the gear reduction starter!!!

Good luck finding your leaks...I'm hoping the trick of spinning up oil pressure without the motor running will help me find my leak. To do it, you need an oil priming tool (I bought one from summit for $9.00). Pull the distributor and the intermediate shaft, then the primer tool goes onto a drill and fits down into the oil pump. I hear you get oil pressure up to 40 or more pounds so that should help you find out where its leaking.

Once I get this blasted intermediate shaft out I'll find out for sure!

You might try a stick magnet with about a 25lb pull...........that's how I do it.

Good luck!

Thanks JBurch!

I just work on it a little at a time. I have a steel hook and I'm working it back and forth with a screwdriver while pulling up on the hook. I'll get it eventually!!! No telling how long it's been in there!:banghead:

If you would've bought them new, they wouldn't have leaked then.....

I have two 273's also. One is a Commando and right now I am working on removing the intermediate shaft so I can have my wife spin up the oil pump while I look for the leak. It seems like it could be the rear main seal. Once I get this blasted intermediate shaft out I'll find out for sure! My other one does not leak, but the steering box leaks a little. Leaks and rattles bug the crap out of me. The only rattle on my Commando is the floor console rattling when I fire it up with the gear reduction starter!!!

Good luck finding your leaks...I'm hoping the trick of spinning up oil pressure without the motor running will help me find my leak. To do it, you need an oil priming tool (I bought one from summit for $9.00). Pull the distributor and the intermediate shaft, then the primer tool goes onto a drill and fits down into the oil pump. I hear you get oil pressure up to 40 or more pounds so that should help you find out where its leaking.

oh I just looked at two of them the day before yesterday and both of them look like a sieve they ran well but I was wondering if this was something common for those commandos or what?

I use a strand of speaker wire tied with a loop big enough to fit around the gear and use a screwdriver to twist it out keeping tension on the wire....works very well

-
Back