66 B'cuda rear window trim question

-

ragtopfury

Reaction score
Is the center of the emblem on the rear window trim supposed to be body color, blue, or black??? Found this in a friends attic.... We are going to use it on Jake's 65 - it is an NOS piece been kept in the attic since forever, but not in a box... 3 squirts of armor all cleaner and this is what we brought home....

Attachments

• rear window trim as found.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 137
  • rear window trim.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 143
  • rear window trim2.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 152
Can't answer your question for sure, but I don't think they where body color. Judging from the condition of yours, I would say they were blue, but I don't know, on mine all the paint is burned off so right now its chrome.
Someone with more knowledge will chime in I'm sure.
BTW nice looking piece you have there.

Kinda thinkin the same thing about the blue... we'll have to change that to purple to match the stripe he puts on it... Car is going to be black with a purple - maybe plum crzy - stripe down the center....

'64 & '65 had the Valiant "V" in the middle....'66 had the Barracuda Fish in the middle ad were all blue like yours, I heard very, very late '65's too but never seen one from '65 with the Fish in the middle....nice piece and very rare as NOS!
Was that the only piece he stashed away or were their any other NOS Mopar parts?
Also thanks for the pic...I saved it as a reference piece for color matching if I ever decide to paint mine back to show quality.

After some research (in the past) I found them to be blue. Just like ZooKypr said. But the outer ring I could never find a color. Can you confirm if that ring is gray? Sure looks like it to me.

Mahalo!!!!

After some research (in the past) I found them to be blue. Just like ZooKypr said. But the outer ring I could never find a color. Can you confirm if that ring is gray? Sure looks like it to me.

Mahalo!!!!
I believe the outer ring is flat black, that may be why it looks grey in the pic

Gotta be a trick of the camera... I agree that it is flat black. Just the contrast of the black lines and the circle...throughs me off.

That piece is 100% correct for 66 Barracuda models. IMO if I were you I would clean it up and sell it on eBay, if it sell you may get enough for a full set of reproduction ones from Laysons, then the NOS one can be passed on for a correct restoration. That is a very rare piece, only seen 1 or 2 other NOS ones for that year.....

That piece is 100% correct for 66 Barracuda models. IMO if I were you I would clean it up and sell it on eBay, if it sell you may get enough for a full set of reproduction ones from Laysons, then the NOS one can be passed on for a correct restoration. That is a very rare piece, only seen 1 or 2 other NOS ones for that year.....

brillant idea...i second that....

Hmm...my 66' Barracuda has the 'V' on the trim piece. From what I understand, it was never replaced, so is it possible that they used both in 66'?

I believe yes. There was the transition between 65 and 66. If I recall, the early 66 builds got them and those where red and blue. Ma Mopar sure makes it interesting for us.

66340 - not a bad idea at all.... has anyone used the Laysons repro set? how do they compare? We like the idea of the 66 piece with the fish - maybe let this one go to a correct 66 resto and pick up a Layson's 66 repro since Jake wants to change the blue center to plum crazy to match the stripe he is going with on his car.... and yes the outer ring of the emblem is black.

Not a bald idea at all. I think it should be saved as an NOS piece - someone probably really needs it.

Gimme your 2 cents....

I'd hate to see it go to ebay, tho.... would rather it go to a member here that could benefit from an NOS piece.... I looked at Layson's prices for the reproduction pieces.... I had no idea what they were going for.... Would it be fair to say NOS might be worth twice as much as repro? Assuming NOS is worth 2x, does anyone want to buy me a full set of repro and swap for this center section? I realize an item is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, and I'm not into ripping anyone off - but don't want to be bent over, either.... sound fair?

Roughly $750? If I was in the market...or wanted to sit on it awhile. I'd say thats worth it. Good luck!

My .02! I'd say its worth $400. - 500. reason being you only have the middle section. Now if you had the whole set as NOS with 2 ends & 2 hinge cover pieces everything would match and worth a smooth $800. - 1200. to the right person. To me having just the middle NOS section will not match up well to a newly rechromed set for a judged show car. Just can't match up a 45yr old chrome to 1 day old chrome very well. Its like matching an original rust free an undeteoriated fender to a repop freshly painted quarter panel. Its going to look different.

-
Back