66 Cuda dash, gloss, satin or flat?

-

4spdcuda66

Reaction score
The interior of my 66 FS Cuda was pretty shot when I picked it up, trashed carpet, dry rotted seats, droopy headliner. The steel dash was flat black, is this from sun fading? Most black dashes I have seen are gloss or satin black and obviously repainted. Is the dash supposed to match the gloss black upper door and interior trim? Makes sense to me but just asking. My current avatar is about where I'm at now.8) Great site, great bunch of car nuts,thanks.:cheers:

This is a good question and I do NOT know the exact answer. I think there is a little bit of gloss, approximately 30%, and it also has a bit of texture in it.

The interior of my 66 FS Cuda was pretty shot when I picked it up, trashed carpet, dry rotted seats, droopy headliner. The steel dash was flat black, is this from sun fading? Most black dashes I have seen are gloss or satin black and obviously repainted. Is the dash supposed to match the gloss black upper door and interior trim? Makes sense to me but just asking. My current avatar is about where I'm at now.8) Great site, great bunch of car nuts,thanks.:cheers:

I don't have the paint chips for a 66, but on the 65s Ditzler Code 9000 - Gloss Black - is specified for "the Lower Instrument Panel Upper Plateau and Complete Lower" and Ditzler Code 9324 - Suede Finish - is specified for the "Instrument Panel Recessed Upper". In looking at an early A Body dash the area from the windshield containing the defroster grilles and speaker to where it starts to raise up is the recessed area, where it raises up is called the plateau. Other colors would be used as specified. Hope this helps.

i would say the top at least should/would be satin or dull finish. then the sun wont blind you off the dash

I don't have the paint chips for a 66, but on the 65s Ditzler Code 9000 - Gloss Black - is specified for "the Lower Instrument Panel Upper Plateau and Complete Lower" and Ditzler Code 9324 - Suede Finish - is specified for the "Instrument Panel Recessed Upper". In looking at an early A Body dash the area from the windshield containing the defroster grilles and speaker to where it starts to raise up is the recessed area, where it raises up is called the plateau. Other colors would be used as specified. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the info. Now, about that 66 you're gonna cut apart, is that a project or you sellin' parts? =P~

i would say the top at least should/would be satin or dull finish. then the sun wont blind you off the dash
Good point. The whole thing was flat, but I just don't know if that's right. I guess however I decide I want it is "right".:cheers:

My 64 Dart had to have the suede paint mixed for the panel with the defroster vents. This paint was touted as a safety feature in 64!
In high school in the 70's, I used everything I could think of to shine that stuff up! LOL!!!
never could get it shiney, now I know why!8)

My 66 has a satin red finish on the top part of the dash and the part around the gauges i gloss red. My car is a 100% original paint 66 Formula S with 76K miles.

My dash is all satin but I have seen several that are gloss on the bottom and satin on the top, very cool.

I think that a Color Chip Chart for 1966 Plymouth will tell you what paint is used where. The chip chart that I had for my 66 Dodge did. I don't know if it matters which brand of paint it is or not.

Good luck,
Mike

I don't know where my head was at as I my 63 dart has a mint original interior in it. I went and looked and it has the area under where a dash pad would be and the face of it (side where radio and heater is) is painted gloss while the top part that goes to the windshield is semi-gloss. I will try to get some pics tomorrow.

Mike

front-rt-seat.jpg

back-seat.jpg

i di mine on the flat surface glosss black and the top where the vents are i did it flat black not on purpose but i kinda like it now with the gloss red vents

-
Back