66 cuda rebuild

-

schmoe12345

66 cuda'
Reaction score
hey guys, how do i remove the k frame on my 66 cuda, I can figure most stuff out, but never took off steering column, or torsion bars, little help would be greatly appreciated, thanks, Joe

If engine is out, unbolt steering box from frame, idler arm, upper control arms from car frame, brake lines, unscrew the height adjusters all the way on the front that are attached to the torshion bars, take out sway bar if there is one and I believe if you remove the bumper stops it will help relieve the torsion bars a bit more. Than you have a few choices, pull the retaining ring out of the rear of the torsionbar socket and attempt to beat the bars out first and then unbolt the k frame and drop it out or, easier is to unbolt the k-frame and let if drop down a bit and pull the k-frame & torsion bars together.

You can just tie up the steering box or are you wanting to pulle the steering column out anyway? If so you can pull the top off the universal coupler @ the steering shaft, under the cover are two pins that you need to get a heel bar under and pry the pins up, then unbolt the steering column from the dash 3 nuts I believe along with some shims) unplug the turnsignal switch wiring, unbolt the plate on the column to the firewall and pull the column out of the steering box.

If engine is out, unbolt steering box from frame, idler arm, upper control arms from car frame, brake lines, unscrew the height adjusters all the way on the front that are attached to the torshion bars, take out sway bar if there is one and I believe if you remove the bumper stops it will help relieve the torsion bars a bit more. Than you have a few choices, pull the retaining ring out of the rear of the torsionbar socket and attempt to beat the bars out first and then unbolt the k frame and drop it out or, easier is to unbolt the k-frame and let if drop down a bit and pull the k-frame & torsion bars together.

You can just tie up the steering box or are you wanting to pulle the steering column out anyway? If so you can pull the top off the universal coupler @ the steering shaft, under the cover are two pins that you need to get a heel bar under and pry the pins up, then unbolt the steering column from the dash 93 nuts I believe along with some shims) unplug the turnsignal switch wiring, unbolt the plate on the column to the firewall and pull the column out of the steering box.
Thank you nothingbutdarts :happy10: I was looking in the search mode for our new member :-D

hey guys thanks, puttin some new pics up on my thread in new posts. appreciate the help, can anyone id the rear end, 51 in. backing plate to plate, 8 bolts on the cover. when i turn the yoke, both axles turn in the same direction, but if i hold one tight, the other one will turn (limited slip?) pics of the axle on my rebuild post, thanks again, time to pull the bars and k frame. wow its a hot afternood in southern Texas!!
here is my other post http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=99755

hey nothingbutdarts, i hope it was a typo, 93 nuts!!! uh, oh!!! 1 down, 92 to go....2 down, 91....well u get the idea...can i pull with everything attatched, i see the upper a's are attatched to the sub. can everything else come with it? then i can just winch it up on some sort of stand to rebuild and paint entire thing. thanks, Joe (schmoe).

I'm scraping all the gunk off the rear, havent found any numbers yet....started on drivers side top, passenger side top...dont see anything yet...

hey nothingbutdarts, i hope it was a typo, 93 nuts!!! uh, oh!!! 1 down, 92 to go....2 down, 91....well u get the idea...can i pull with everything attatched, i see the upper a's are attatched to the sub. can everything else come with it? then i can just winch it up on some sort of stand to rebuild and paint entire thing. thanks, Joe (schmoe).

Yea, thanks! Corrected it! It was supposed to be (3) nuts.

Yes, you can pull it with everything! Some where on here is a thread or two of guys doing it that way. Then lifting the front end of the car up and sliding out the engine/transmission out. Actually that's how the factory put the engine/transmission in!

I also posted in your build post about the rear. It might be kind of weak if you are going for more HP! I believe it's a 7 1/4"

heck yeah, thats the way to do it, i am pulling my K anyway to rebuild and paint. I think I will try the whole shebang from the bottom!! thanks.

much easier to get to the k frame with the front clip gone. glad I did. the last thread has some great pics of putting the assemble back in as a whole unit, thats what im gonna try! here is some front clip off pics. still real impressed with the condition of the sheetmetal, surface rust only!!

DSCI0096.jpg

DSCI0097.jpg

DSCI0098.jpg

DSCI0099.jpg

-
Back