66 Dart 270 Radiator Cap & hoses

-

66dart225ci

Reaction score
Today I opened up my 66 Dart and did some work to her. I did a new air filter, fuel filter + hoses and I installed a new radiator cap. Can anyone tell me what this hose that runs off the port to the radiator cap connects to? And also is the cap neck supposed to be on an angle? Refer to pics

601518A4-156E-468A-9A20-713D031E72EE.jpeg

76442189-3901-4F3A-977A-2A05BA118F75.jpeg

47772FDB-A831-42DA-A0DB-C7407B1C7A62.jpeg

Today I opened up my 66 Dart and did some work to her. I did a new air filter, fuel filter + hoses and I installed a new radiator cap. Can anyone tell me what this hose that runs off the port to the radiator cap connects to? And also is the cap neck supposed to be on an angle? Refer to pics

View attachment 1716103013

View attachment 1716103014

View attachment 1716103015

Overflow

To a catch can or earlier to the ground (not recommended)

The neck is bent. That's not normal

Good deal. I always feel like the engine thanks us for new filters!

I don't recall ever seeing a slanted radiator neck. As long as it doesn't leak you're good. The hose is for overflow. Keep in mind, these cars were meant to have radiator fluid (coolant, water, etc) about an inch or inch and a half below the neck. Any more than that and it will overflow when it gets hot after shutting off the engine in the summer.

Good deal. I always feel like the engine thanks us for new filters!

I don't recall ever seeing a slanted radiator neck. As long as it doesn't leak you're good. The hose is for overflow. Keep in mind, these cars were meant to have radiator fluid (coolant, water, etc) about an inch or inch and a half below the neck. Any more than that and it will overflow when it gets hot after shutting off the engine in the summer.

The radiator is holding the fluid. It’s not leaking at all. But I took the cal off and noticed corrosion inside the radiator. What do you make of this? I was planning on taking the radiator off and having it restored

F32C8234-8683-4FFC-BDAD-1C224A9CD8AA.jpeg

Overflow

To a catch can or earlier to the ground (not recommended)

The neck is bent. That's not normal

Old cars... anybody's guess... if it isn't leaking and doesn't bother you, then leave it be.

Yeah, you can just get some tubing (by the foot) from a parts store. My car didn't come with a catch can, but I run a small, billet can that is attached where the radiator mounts.

Old cars... anybody's guess... if it isn't leaking and doesn't bother you, then leave it be.

Yeah, you can just get some tubing (by the foot) from a parts store. My car didn't come with a catch can, but I run a small, billet can that is attached where the radiator mounts.
Really

really I would want a brand new radiator or better yet have this one refurbished

The corrosion is not uncommon for a car that old. If you can find an old school radiator shop, they could "rod" it out or just hot tank it if they think rodding it could damage it. If the engine is not running hot, I would leave it.

Really

really I would want a brand new radiator or better yet have this one refurbished

If you find a shop and price it out... nothing that time and money can't fix :thumbsup:

Hope you can find what you want. Get all the measurements noted so you won't have to run out and double check if one comes up

The corrosion is not uncommon for a car that old. If you can find an old school radiator shop, they could "rod" it out or just hot tank it if they think rodding it could damage it. If the engine is not running hot, I would leave it.
The car does does run hot according to the previous owner. So as part of restoring it and preserving it, I’m addressing issues to the entire car. There’s a radiator shop not far from me. It’s about 10 miles away. But what about the bent neck? Can they straighten that out or is it more cost effective to buy a new radiator. Also, what’s the mix that goes in the car? The fluid looks clear which leads me to believe it’s probably filled up with water.

The car does does run hot according to the previous owner. So as part of restoring it and preserving it, I’m addressing issues to the entire car. There’s a radiator shop not far from me. It’s about 10 miles away. But what about the bent neck? Can they straighten that out or is it more cost effective to buy a new radiator. Also, what’s the mix that goes in the car? The fluid looks clear which leads me to believe it’s probably filled up with water.

A quote from the shop will help you decide. Might be pricey to restore that one... others on here might be able to advise on the likelihood of fixing the existing radiator.

Aftermarket options are pretty broad.. just be sure it's the correct application for the slanty.

A good flush of everything to include the heater core and block along the way.

Lots of opinions on fluids. My preference is Green fluid 50:50 using distilled water.

A quote from the shop will help you decide. Might be pricey to restore that one... others on here might be able to advise on the likelihood of fixing the existing radiator.

Aftermarket options are pretty broad.. just be sure it's the correct application for the slanty.

A good flush of everything to include the heater core and block along the way.

Lots of opinions on fluids. My preference is Green fluid 50:50 using distilled water.
Think most people agree it’s cheaper to just buy a new one and thanks I think I’ll try your solution 50/50 distilled water cool

Yep, green coolant 50/50. That's good for your winters and summers.

Great suggestion on getting a quote from your local shop. Griffin Radiator makes exact fit units. Expensive but worth it. I've heard a lot horror stories about aftermarket radiators not fitting well or needing lots of fabrication to mount.

Yep, green coolant 50/50. That's good for your winters and summers.

Great suggestion on getting a quote from your local shop. Griffin Radiator makes exact fit units. Expensive but worth it. I've heard a lot horror stories about aftermarket radiators not fitting well or needing lots of fabrication to mount.
Expensive is not for me. I’ve been getting my parts from Rock Auto so I guess I’ll see what they want for a new radiator (hopefully aluminum) and bottom charge pipe. Someone said not to flush it while it’s on the car. Do you think I should siphon it first? What’s the safest way to remove the radiator

You can flush it in the car. Thete is a petcock on the bottom of the radiator to drain it, and a drain on the lower side of the block to drain the block.

There's a lot of different ways to flush. Here's a video Advance Auto Parts put out using a flush kit that comes withinstructions. You'll find lots of other YouTube videos I'm sure. Some people use vinegar.

Really I would e

You want to drain the block and also consider flushing the heater core so it's a fresh start
Somebody said to remove the thermostat, the bottom radiator hose and then hit it with a hose that way

i looked carefully at the pics and the neck looks like it's meant to be angled, hood clearance maybe? the 'platform' the neck's soldered to is higher at the back than the front in the side views confirming this. i've seen them like it before so wouldn't worry about it. you're local shop will be able to recore it no problem, it'll come back painted black too so will look 'new'.
neil.

i looked carefully at the pics and the neck looks like it's meant to be angled, hood clearance maybe? the 'platform' the neck's soldered to is higher at the back than the front in the side views confirming this. i've seen them like it before so wouldn't worry about it. you're local shop will be able to recore it no problem, it'll come back painted black too so will look 'new'.
neil.
Ok I’ll do that. It brings me great joy to be able to maintain that originality but have it refurbished at the same time. Just hope it doesn’t cost millions to get this work done because you know, I could always just buy a new one which I might do anyway because I don’t want problems down the road because of shotty work

The more I'm looking at your photos @66dart225ci , I'm not certain that is the original radiator for that car....

Anybody have thoughts? The height above the grill, side brackets and the upper hose connection being to the far end seem different??

-
Back