-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan Hoelzer

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
I recently inherited my dad's 66 Dart convertible and need a steering column for it. It's automatic on the column. I've been told it would be easy to buy an aftermarket. Does anyone have any experience with aftermarket columns? Of course, if one of you has an OEM for sale I'd be interested.

Thanks

I've heard from one member that thinks he has one.

If that falls through I'd also be interested in good parts. My dad and a friend of his had taken it apart and I think the only things really wrong with it were bearings, the turn signal switch, and some type of plastic bushing near the bottom. The plastic piece was the thing they couldn't figure out..

Anyone have any thoughts or experience with aftermarket?

Hello Ryan. The turn signal return cam is available aftermarket from sources such as Classic Industries in Ca. Horn buttons can be found regularly on our forum, just post a wanted ad. You are looking for a column shift automatic? As well, the lower bearings and seals are available through online Vendors. Don't know all of the correct terms on column parts, but they are available. I do have a 66 Dart column shift column with shaft and coupler. I also have a 65 Dart/Valiant floor shift column complete with shaft and coupler. Automatic and Manual steering have different length shafts as you might know, so be sure on whether the column you buy is auto or manual steering. To be honest, I do not know if the 'Vert, HT, or sedan have a different style/shape/length of steering column. PM me at Old Dart 66 if I can help you.

Hello Ryan. The turn signal return cam is available aftermarket from sources such as Classic Industries in Ca. Horn buttons can be found regularly on our forum, just post a wanted ad. You are looking for a column shift automatic? As well, the lower bearings and seals are available through online Vendors. Don't know all of the correct terms on column parts, but they are available. I do have a 66 Dart column shift column with shaft and coupler. I also have a 65 Dart/Valiant floor shift column complete with shaft and coupler. Automatic and Manual steering have different length shafts as you might know, so be sure on whether the column you buy is auto or manual steering. To be honest, I do not know if the 'Vert, HT, or sedan have a different style/shape/length of steering column. PM me at Old Dart 66 if I can help you.

My dad and a friend of his took it apart a while back and I'm afraid some of the pieces might be scattered. They had said they found bearings and I think the switch, but they said there was a hard plastic piece that was damaged that didn't really sound like a seal.

At this point if I can find a complete column I think it's just easier.

It is a column shift automatic with manual steering. Is the one you have manual steering? The shaft itself measures 36.5".

I can't find a way to PM, maybe I'm too new?

Thanks.

My dad and a friend of his took it apart a while back and I'm afraid some of the pieces might be scattered. They had said they found bearings and I think the switch, but they said there was a hard plastic piece that was damaged that didn't really sound like a seal.

At this point if I can find a complete column I think it's just easier.

It is a column shift automatic with manual steering. Is the one you have manual steering? The shaft itself measures 36.5".

I can't find a way to PM, maybe I'm too new?

Thanks.

Ryan, if you have a clown shift with manual steering, you will need the identical length shaft. There are many of these shafts available....if your shaft needs replacing, which I doubt. Just under the horn button where the shaft mounts into the steering column, there is a seal (o ring), and a bearing.....relatively easy to install this seal and bearing. Regarding the other end, there is a seal where the column penetrates the firewall, and another seal where the shaft exits the column. You might want to take a close look at your coupler as these wear out readily on these old cars. If your car is manual steering, does it have a shaft extension on it? It may be that it was converted from Power Steering to Manual. I have the measurement of your shaft, so I will compare to the ones I have. I will PM you, where all you will have to do is reply. Old Dart 66

I went over to my mom's tonight where the car is, and this is what I have..

It's a mess and this column needs to be repainted too.

I think I'm back to replacing the whole column.

And, I now believe it's a power steering model. That is a power steering pump in the last picture isn't it?

Sorry, I'm really not an idiot, the guy who was working on it with him told me it was manual..

2018-08-16 19.19.41.jpg

2018-08-16 19.19.35.jpg

2018-08-16 19.19.31.jpg

2018-08-16 19.19.27.jpg

2018-08-16 19.19.22.jpg

2018-08-16 19.17.01.jpg

2018-08-16 19.16.35.jpg

2018-08-16 19.16.31.jpg

2018-08-16 19.16.23.jpg

2018-08-16 18.38.04.jpg

I went over to my mom's tonight where the car is, and this is what I have..

It's a mess and this column needs to be repainted too.

I think I'm back to replacing the whole column.

And, I now believe it's a power steering model. That is a power steering pump in the last picture isn't it?

Sorry, I'm really not an idiot, the who was working on it with him told me it was manual..

View attachment 1715211271

View attachment 1715211272

View attachment 1715211273

View attachment 1715211274

View attachment 1715211275

View attachment 1715211276

View attachment 1715211277

View attachment 1715211278

View attachment 1715211279

View attachment 1715211284

Hello Ryan. Indeed, I do see a power steering gear, and I do see the power steering pressure line and return. With that said, you have a power steering shaft in your column (power steering shafts are shorter). The horn button looks intact, but you are needing a turn signal return cam. Your coupler (where the steering shaft hooks up to the steering gear) looks intact. Painting will be an issue whether you use your current column, or buy a new one. I can send my 66 column shift column out to you, and you pay the shipping from me to you, and pay me a little bit for whatever you think it is worth to you (not very much). I did not have time to look through the FS Manual, or parts catalog today, but you've got my word that I will get that done tomorrow. Those replacement columns are high priced, so if you can follow a diagram, you can do this for yourself much more cheaply. The parts that you need are inexpensive....ie, the turn signal cam is 15 bucks. I will email the diagram to you tomorrow along with a few photos of what I have regarding a column along with a short list of the parts I think that you will need. Watch your $, because these cars can drain some cash real quick. Yes, in tge photo below the exhaust manifold, the part you see is the Power Steerin gear. Happy to help a fellow FABO member. Best. Jerry

LOL, It's been draining my dad for around 15 years. It's been driveable at times but something else always broke. I am looking forward to getting it back on the road. I guess my next big issue is moving the gas pedal back to the right. He was an amputee and moved the pedal to the left or added a 2nd pedal on all his cars..

2018-08-16 18.36.21.jpg

LOL, It's been draining my dad for around 15 years. It's been driveable at times but something else always broke. I am looking forward to getting it back on the road. I guess my next big issue is moving the gas pedal back to the right. He was an amputee and moved the pedal to the left or added a 2nd pedal on all his cars..

View attachment 1715211288

Ryan, It is not all that bad, as you have a great looking 66 there. Special too, since it was your Dad's car.....family heirloom. Enclosed is a photo of the turn signal cam. I bought this one from Classic Industries out in Ca. Their Part# is MD2095. If you call them, they will send you a catalog. Of course, there are many other excellent vendors out there that have quality products, I just chose, on my current project, to use Classic. I will get the diagram off to you tomorrow. Best. Jerry (Old Dart 66)

TurnSigCam 003.JPG

Another user has a column that's ready to use except for paint. I'm going to get that one and see where I'm at from there.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Another user has a column that's ready to use except for paint. I'm going to get that one and see where I'm at from there.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Halfafish sent a note on an exploded view of a 66 Dart column shift. He was going to find that info, as I found that the FSM's view was not very clear. If you found a complete steering column that is great. If so, I will leave you to your enjoyment of your great car. Best Old Dart 66

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back