66 Dart GT 13" 5X4.25 want to update?

-

moose nugget

Moose Nugget
Reaction score
I recently bought a 66 GT-6cyl, Auto, job. Its going to be the wife's car. The car as a whole is pretty sound just needs some improvements-I've taken care of the engine compartment- improving on the cooling system, restoring belt system- someone did an aftermarket AC unit.. put a set of electric fans which where not functioning properly..In the process of correcting the errors I've replaced the single pass 18 with a tripple pass 22". I've started a bucket list on this car-working my way back to the rear bumper. Nothing big- weatherstrip-doors rails and cat wiskers, seals, seats, radio, replace dash AC controls-, my biggest issue is the tires- this GT has the original rims and wheel covers--13 inch x 5X4.25- I want to raise the stance- to either 14" or 15", improve on the brakes. I'm not planning on replacing the 225 6 at this time..Wife has this need for speed- she wants a rumbler- more hp. That might happen but not right now.. I've been a GM fan, so I'm new to the Mopar suspension setups-- What do I need to do about putting on taller wheels and tires--14" or 15"-and keeping the cost somewhat in check..

Buy some 14 or 15" wheels in a 5x4" bolt pattern. Selection is very limited, though. Cragar SS's, Mopar Ralley Wheels in 14", you may can get some aftermarket Ralley's in 15", I'm not sure. Mopar also made stock steel wheels in 14 x 5".

Get a dual reservoir master cylinder if it still has the single. Disc brakes probably a good idea as well. Any pics?

American Racing makes a Outlaw II and a Slotted Mag in that bolt pattern.

Or you could change out the front brakes and rearend to a 73 and up A body that has disc brakes and uses a 5 x 4 1/2" bolt pattern, then you will solve a bunch of problems

if you go from 23" diameter wheels to 27" or so- you may need to look at your gearing.
Not sure what that would effectivly drop your ratio too but it would get you to 60 in first.

Stock Mopar 14x5.5" rims are what I have on all my cars! They safely hold a 215mm tire width, or more if you think you need wider rubber, but not "recommended"!

If you're interested in a set 14x5.5" steelies, message me and we can work out a deal on a set! Geof

I appreciate the replies.. I like the idea of going to 5 x 4.5, definitely going to check with DVAP, Phoenix.. and see what they have... they are only 15 miles from here..Talk about a walk back in time- they deal with 70 and below--I spent a whole afternoon walking around in their dart area photographing engine compartments. Since I didn't have any manuals and was trying to redo the previous owners after market AC installation. I bought the 66 GT at Goodguys swap area about a month ago, drove it off the property got on the highway and it started overheating..So- called AAA had them haul it home rather than take a chance burning the engine up.. First thing, I did was pull out the 18" single pass radiator, bought the front end out of 67dart. Pulleys, fans, original AC brackets and compressor..I lucked out- the vehicle still had antifreeze in it. The only problem I had was installing the bigger radiator- slight mod to the front support and it fit perfect. At DVAP, your not allowed to pull your own parts.. they have employees who pull the parts mark them and take them up front to the office.. Well the guy who pulled my parts cut the hoses,,If I'd be smart, I had him pull the radiator hose off.. Bottom hose fit perfect, the top hose was different by 3-4 inches.. I lucked out at shucks, they manage to find just what I needed.. Car running cool now..I'm now trying to find a source for weather stripping-catwiskers and channel track for driver/passenger windows.. the rattling of door glass drives me nuts...

As for the wheels- I'm going to work on the dis brake issue and definitely change the master cyl. to a double pump..

I new to Mpar, so If I ask dumb questions please be patient..

I recently switched the stock 13 inch steel wheels and tires on my 66 Dart, 4 dr, /6, auto, and put on a nice set of used aluminum slot mags that I bought from someone here on FABO. I have 14x6 on the front and 14x7 on the rear, all have the 3 1/2 inch back spacing, with the 5x4 sbp. For the tires I used 195 60x14 which are fairly close in diameter to the 13's so I wouldn't have any problems with the speedometer readings being wrong. The wheels and tires fit great, and it looks awesome. I've received plenty of compliments since I put them on a month ago.

Paul

I been out of town, away from the house no computer limit cell phone, in fact I think my I left the cell phone on the work bench.. Being retired and not wanting to take anymore contracts is nice.. Some folks think that I must carry a phone 24-7, those days are never more.. I really appreciate all of the imputs- I'm going to work on finding me some 14" steel or chrome 5x4. Change the master cylinder to a dual for now.. I removed the Aftermarket AC, the 18 rad, I switched to a 22" 3 pass, cooling issue is Ok for now here in AZ. We going to be hitting the road soon and immigrating back North to AK--Yes I'm a snow bird... Best of both worlds- sunshine, no snow. Well I must qualify that last statement--Bowhunting season on the slope brings snow, that when we head back to AZ.

I spent the last couple of days working on my truck 2500 HD- I found a smoking deal on a set of wheels and tires- 10 miles on the tires and wheels and the guy had them pulled to put a 8 in lift kit and replaced the rims and tires with 22 inch rims and tires- I bought the stuff removed for what It would of cost for one new 18 series E.. Of course I was in the tire and wheel part of Scottsdale.. So I made the rounds- if desert Valley Auto doesn't have any wheels on monday- I decided to take you guys advice-- 14 5x4.5 wheels with 3 to 4" set back.. Ok since you guys have all the experience- I could use some advice-- front hub, rear axles and hubs, brake 5x4.5" What about the drums size? I eventually will change to disc...Let me know what I/m missing.. appreciate the inputs

Ok! I finally found another donor car I think--74 valiant--14 inch wheels, disc brakes up front, dual brake system, portion valve, dual brake reservoir, rear end- drum brakes. Going to look at it this afternoon.. my big question- If I remove all items under the front end and rear end will those Items fit under my 66 Dart GT.. NOt sure if the donor car was a V8 or 6. Auto or manual. Figured as long as I can rebuild all of the front end parts before re installing I would be alot closer to starting on list restoration..

Yes, the donor car is the way to go. For brakes, you'll want the spindles, upper arms and lower ball joints as well as the master and all the plumbing. The rear suspension will swap straight across.

Thank you for the quick reply... We'll be posting photos of the restoration.. :cheers: Hopefully the photo I loaded will post.. I found this at the Scottsdale Goodguy's show- the swap meet area.. Just need a TLC- cooling issues have been corrected- did away with the aftermarket Air for now-- replaced the 18" single with 22.5" triple pass, Gauge showing cool just on the warm line.. Which is better than begging out-10 minutes at freeway speed.. Now its get the girl up off the floor and some new shoes... Then its skin the vinyl off the top, and work my way down- then the interior... Its going to stay stock- 6y and automatic-- you've heard of the little old lady from Pasadena-- wife wants a hemi-- I played hell catching up with her when she was going to Chico State-- Thank God for A&W's back them......

Attachments

• IMGP3638.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 155
After several following on leads for 13 5X4's, and getting nowhere in a hurry- I bought the front of a 1974 Valiant- had a 6 supposedly- The automatic was still in it.. I wound up with all the front ends parts, disc brakes on the front and drums on the rear, The tires weren't bad at least for now I have rolling stock and chrome slotted wheels, rear end and rear springs, dual power master cylinder.. Only bad thing is we are headed home..to AK. and I won't be spending my time looking for parts in Anchorage or the valley. I checked out Craigslist-Anchorage--parts up there are not cheap- then you have to deal with rust..The donor car here in AZ was virtually rust free....

Question -- on the rear end housing was the number 6H5--- does anyone know what this means?

Attachments

• 74 vailant Donor car.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 150
  • IMGP4165.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 122
  • IMGP4177.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 125
  • 6H5 -2.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 127
Well in the process of getting ready to snowbird back north, we delayed our trip by a week.. So being the A type personality- I just couldn't leave things alone and wait until I got back... Figuring replacing the rear end, would be the easiest thing I could do.. Rather than pull the hubs, brake cylinders and take care of them. I wanted to see what the 74 valient would look like underneath with some rolling stock rims and tires.. I started removing rear end from under the 66.. First time I'd really be under the car...Well "nothing ventured nothing loss".. Pulling the rear end only took about hour...In the process I found that who ever had the car modified the exhaust tail pipe- reduced it down from 1.25 or 1.5 to an inch. then there was the knik in he tail pipe- reducing it about 3/4 inch exhaust.. Easy fix- sawall fix- new exhaust later.

The rear end bolted up--only thing is I think the springs are about inch shorter. The rear haggles tilt forward slightly, the big deal is the emergency brake on the 74 are about 6 inches longer than the 66..Other than that no big setbacks yet...Glad I got the rolling rims and tires- definitely going to lookfor more set back.. Right now I have about 3/4 of inch. That I'll work out when I do the front end in the fall...The yellow child looks alot better with new 14" 4.5 bolt. Glad I listened to you Mpar dudes and gals...The wife is already looking at the mopar catalog- Wheel section....Glad she looking - I keep hearing = How much, are they made of gold... Anyhow.. two questions- A: Emgerency brake cables- do I pull the ones off of the old 66 and use them on the 74 rear end or find a way to fab new cables...There is only about a 1 inch difference-- It could be ok- I got pulled off of it last night by upper management- dinner date>>> If only I could get her under the car to turn wrenches.....
B: Spring lengths and curves? If I go to a shop that replaces the springs, I assuming they'll know what I need and be able to fix me up?

Attachments

• Before 13.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 127
  • Now 14s.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 126
  • IMGP4166.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 124
Pretty hard to put a reverse offset rim with any decent tire on the back of your car without going to a narrower differential. I bet you have lots of room between the inside of your tire and the leaf springs.
Laughed when you said you "think it's an inch shorter". Maybe get the wife to measure the spring lengths since you can't be objective. I'm pretty sure I did a similar swap and it worked ok.
If your parts car has a black steel rimmed spare tire- you may want to try that.
You are going to be freezing your butts off when you go home. What, it's only about a high of 40 degrees right now?

Btw I really like those cars with the half vinyl top. Takes me back to the era when Chrysler had Crowns. Your car really pulls that off.

There not alot of back space...In the process of putting the tires and rim back on- left side no problem had 1 inch, Right side -- difference story- 1/2 inch of clearance.. When I bought it I noticed bondo, with the little 13 inch tires, I didn't pay much attention to the clearances between tires and the trim on the car...http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/images/smilies/violent1.gif Now that I discovered the source of the trunk lid alignment issue, that'll be the second item on the list--after I rebuild the front disc brakes and replace the rubber bushing, wheel bearings, plumbing upfront and rebuild the booster and brake reservoir.. Any suggestions on where to buy right rear side quarter panel? I'll plan on doing it myself- after having 3 mustangs, each needing one side or the other, It usually took me the better part of a day to replace just one side. The only thing I'm worried about it availability...By chance has one seen Vhs or DVDs about removing and replacing various body parts on A bodies? Reason I ask is a friend of mine many years ago gave a tape, which I watched, then ordered a 5 set VHS tape set.. The tapes went into replacing just about every part on the 64 1/2-66 pony cars..That was 15 years ago. When I figure out the sheet metal issue, I'll document the process and post it, might even do a video.. But for now- the car is put away until we get back this fall- allowing me time to research the front end brake swap and yes I'm looking at the other postings-"tech tips and how to", which have been a tremendous source of information and help..

-
Back