66 dart gt drip rail/top trim removal help needed

-

Flatlander

Reaction score
How in the heck does this come off? The drip rail moulding is wide and deep and I don't want to tear it up. I got it to snap off the pillar in front of the vent window but now at a standstill. Having a hard time figuring out what holds the y pieces down. I also need to remove the thin strip that runs across the top. Thanks in advance.

Yup it sucks!! The first thing I did was make a makeshift hook tool I used a very old steel flat screwdriver, if its not steel its just gonna snap with the new cheap metal. My Barracuda had a butt jointer on both sides of the top rails you need to unclip them first from underneath, then you should be able to gently move your tool down the channel, all this happens underneath you should not go above on the roof side. Its kind of hard to explain I did't take many pictures of that portion of dissasembly. Call me if you have any questions 757-450-4907.

If you notice on my waggin it has 66 dart gt chrome.....you have to remove the wheather stipping for the top of the door glass then the metal channel that holds that then there are screws to remove for the y shaped pieces.the top pieces that go from one side to the other just pop off.if you are removing the strips under neath of those they are screwed on and have lil' rubber protectors in side of the car hidden by the headliner.no special tools needed and yes I had fun making the car fit the chrome =)

small striped waggin.JPG

You guys are the greatest, thanks.

Waggins, I was wondering about removing the window channel to get to the y. thanks again.

Tear down always seems dawnting but once done, very rewarding.

A great tool that works on the thin drip rail trim is a old bottle opener wrapped in tape. It hooks under and levers off the trim. Best way to learn is to head to the wrecking yard and practice on a junk car, then you don't have to sweat out ruining yours to learn.

In addition, since this is being referenced for later by some...if your car is a vinyl top car, there are strips of perforated metal that runs around the perimeter of the vinyl top under that trim. The clips that hold the trim down screw through the holes in these strips of metal which secure the edges of the vinyl top. These strips are sometimes missing, but they are vital.

How in the heck does this come off? The drip rail moulding is wide and deep and I don't want to tear it up. I got it to snap off the pillar in front of the vent window but now at a standstill. Having a hard time figuring out what holds the y pieces down. I also need to remove the thin strip that runs across the top. Thanks in advance.
I've recently did this on a parts car. You have to use a wide board to do this right and a mallet. You should be on the inside of the car and hold the board flat near the ceiling and get the edge of the board to make contact with the trim. You want the board to be about 4"wide so that it spreads the force over the width of the board and will not dent the trim and lightly tap it working your way along the ridge. The trim I did this to was perfect with no dents after removing this way. Jysnflem

All that top side trim and the "Y" shaped pieces are SCREWED to the top of the car underneath the chrome piece that accepts the window molding. Pull the molding out. Unscrew the channel, and pull it off. Then unscrew the drip rail molding from inside that channel. It will just fall off. No need to get physical. The thin strip that crosses the roof, is held on by small 1/2 inch plastic clips that are screwed through the roof of the car. Just use your fingers to lightly pull up on one side, and it will pop off.

Ok I think you are working on the drip rail on the roof of the car 65 or 66 only going across the windshield and down the pillars and I'm refering to the drip rail on the side of the car that goes up the vent window and follows to the rear window and just snaps over the metal ridge. Sorry for any confusion I'm thinking of a 1964 Dart. Jysnflem

-
Back