'66 Dart GT window channels

-

60jerry

Reaction score
Seems I've wound up removing the vent window assemblies and the rear glass track from my GT hardtop and I think I can get the channel for the front of the door glass, but whassa deal with the rear one? I removed the channel assembly and I find it to be very wide and deep. I've been unable to find anything to replace this fuzzy material. Anyone had any luck repairing these? The ones in my car are not too bad, but geez, the durned thing is out and it'd be nice to make it all nice and snug. Looks like I could scrape out the old stuff and glue in some new material if I could get the fuzzy stuff. I think it needs to be about 2.75-3.0 inches wide and about 17 inches long for each side.

Thanks for looking,

Jerry in Denver

Seems I've wound up removing the vent window assemblies and the rear glass track from my GT hardtop and I think I can get the channel for the front of the door glass, but whassa deal with the rear one? I removed the channel assembly and I find it to be very wide and deep. I've been unable to find anything to replace this fuzzy material. Anyone had any luck repairing these? The ones in my car are not too bad, but geez, the durned thing is out and it'd be nice to make it all nice and snug. Looks like I could scrape out the old stuff and glue in some new material if I could get the fuzzy stuff. I think it needs to be about 2.75-3.0 inches wide and about 17 inches long for each side.

Thanks for looking,

Jerry in Denver

are you talking about the back piece that the rear quarter window plastic piece slides in? sort of like an upside down hockey stick shaped metal channel piece about 1 inch thick and the side are about 2 inches that has 1 lower inner bolt and an upper adjustable bolt on the inside panel (hidden under the back side panels? if so you can get it. but I haven't found it wide enough. I ended up putting it in. 1 side at a time with a little overlap and it was a plastic style fuzzy strip. I'll see if I can find the sales slip on where I bought it. it was cheap. about 8 bucks for 10 ft. again it was only about 1.2-20 inches wide and was not as wide as the original stuff but once both pieces were glued into place work just the same.

and I can't remember the name of the stuff either !#@$%$#@%

View attachment !!rear channel piece.jpg

View attachment !!chanel gpoes here'.jpg

on another note I have also uses the fuzzy side of self stick velcro ( it's been on the 65 satellite i did now for about 4 years)but I sprayed good old super 77 spray contact cement on there first, let dry an hour and stuck the velcro (fuzzy side) on it. I found it in 2 inch wide strips too, so I had to put in one side then the other worked good.

dang now I have to find the name of that stuff. I think it's called waterproof window felt, but I'm not sure.

66Dvert,

Actually I was thinking of the channel at the rear of the door glass, but your description of the channel on the quarter glass sounds just like that rear door channel. The rear door channel fuzzy is glued onto the metal channel housing just as you describe for the quarter channel. I hope you find that name. I'll be looking up fuzzies by the name you did provide. Thanks much. Glad someone has dealt with this. Lucky us!!

Hell Fish,

Thanks for that link for the front channel insert. That's the best price I've seen. As I mentioned in the response to Dvert, it's that pesky rear door channel that has me buffaloed. I'll probably order that front channel you mentioned so I can get the glass tightened up.

Oh, Dvert, you mentioned the idea of Velcro using one side. Good idea. I hadn't thought of that stuff. It's pretty indestructible and should stand up to window movement for a long time.

Thanks to all for the nice responses.

Jerry in Denver

66Dvert,

Actually I was thinking of the channel at the rear of the door glass, but your description of the channel on the quarter glass sounds just like that rear door channel. The rear door channel fuzzy is glued onto the metal channel housing just as you describe for the quarter channel. I hope you find that name. I'll be looking up fuzzies by the name you did provide. Thanks much. Glad someone has dealt with this. Lucky us!!

Hell Fish,

Thanks for that link for the front channel insert. That's the best price I've seen. As I mentioned in the response to Dvert, it's that pesky rear door channel that has me buffaloed. I'll probably order that front channel you mentioned so I can get the glass tightened up.

Oh, Dvert, you mentioned the idea of Velcro using one side. Good idea. I hadn't thought of that stuff. It's pretty indestructible and should stand up to window movement for a long time.

Thanks to all for the nice responses.

Jerry in Denver

thanks the velcro has held up through a lot of driving in all weather. bitchy to get in but once it's in it's great.

ok so not the rear door glass chanels itself but the rear door channel in the FRONT door? right? If so I used the same stuff to do that one also when I ordered the quarter window seals for the convertible. hmmmm lemme look for a pic so you can say "yep or nay"
View attachment !!!bolts go here.jpg

hope this ones right since there are not many channels left. but we can get it by process of elimination (eventually):thumleft:

and it's (the material)called "waterproof window felt . I still have not found the service manul description of the channel yet (looking for the book again!) I know I put it up so it didn't get ruined while I was working on the car but..............
ok found some

here is a picture of that back channel. is that the one?
View attachment DSCF3793.jpg

a picture of the smaller size velcro I put in the bottom of the channel.
View attachment DSCF3792.jpg
a better view of the velcro.
View attachment DSCF3791.jpg
side view showing depth. ohh and my new steering wheel project too!
View attachment DSCF3795.jpg

Mohair lining tape.........

part# GZ-G100, 2 5/8" wide, $3.95/foot
part# GZ-G101, 1 5/8" wide, $3.25/foot

A finely textured mohair lining material with a rubberized backing. Merely apply adhesive to the back of liner and bond over badly worn division bars and channels. Helps to reline guide bars on lock side of hardtops and convertibles.

the channel is lined with a procuct called moleskin or sometime just channel liner. I have a roll left after doing finishing my car. if you need some let me know.
It is usually sold my auto glass shops and is used to reduce the size of the channel and keep the glass from contacting the metal.

Dvert,

Yep, its the one in the door. Didja see the response from Rick at Layson's? Looks like that is the stuff I'll be needing. Think I'll work with one of our site vendors for this part of the project. If this stuff from Layson's doesn't feel right I'll go with the Velcro. Damn, why didn't I think of Velcro? I'm always figgerin' a way to do things without following the parts houses.

Frozen Bohemian,

I've seen this stuff you mention being used as window channel liner and it seems to work well. Probably stands a chance of being just a tad quieter than the original fuzzy stuff. Felt is really soft and absorbent of movement of the glass.

Oh, by the way Mr. Bohemian, I'm married to a Bohemian--that'd be Czech background, if I've been paying attention to her. From my experience with the Czechs, they're a bunch of free-thinkers and hard workers. I've been accepted as an honorary Czech in our family.

Jerry in Denver

-
Back