66 Plymoth Valiant PRNDL light?

-

kyler

Reaction score
Where is the light for the automatic PRNDL indicator on my 66 Valiant? My dad says it could be a fiber optic light from inside the cluster, but I'm wondering if it is a bulb inside the collar? Any ideas? I want to change over to all LEDS, so I'd like to figure out how to access it.

Remove the steering wheel and you'll find the light bulb in a metal socket with a blue plastic diffuser. No fibre optics involved. It takes a BA9s-base bulb (such as an 1895).

Be especially careful converting to LED bulbs. There's not much safety consequence of getting it wrong when you're playing around with interior lights, but the safety (exterior) lights need to do a lot more than just light up, they have to work right, and most of the "LED bulbs" on the market are unsafe junk. See threads here and here. If your tails are degraded (melted/crazed/clouded up) as they often are on the '66s, real nice new ones can be had here for affordable money.

If any of your lights, such as running lights, instrument panel lights or dash illumination lights don't work, check for power at the bulb socket and check the bulb for filament continuity before you buy a new bulb. If you've got no power at the socket, check the fuse in that circuit. If the fuse is good, check the fuse block to see if, after a zillion heat cycles, the mechanical riveted connection between the power busses and the fuses has overheated and loosened up so that it is no longer conducting current to the fuse. In that case, disassemble the fuse block, refurb (clean up) the fuse clips if necessary and solder the fuse clips to the power busses with rosin core electrical solder.

-
Back