66 Plymouth Belvedere 426 Hemi 4 speed.

-

bobb

Reaction score
I'm replacing the original 4 speed into this car and need to know which Hurst shifting handle was original to this car. Flat bar or round with pull up lock release? I have both shifters.

Inland round with what you're referring to as "pull up lock release"
19-1574088199128@2x.jpg

Who cares when it's attached to a real Hemi? I'd suffer through it.

Who cares when it's attached to a real Hemi? I'd suffer through it.
This is the real deal with 48K miles, one owner. When bought new the owner lost his foot to cancer and had the dealer pull the 4 speed and install an automatic. All parts were put in the trunk as the story goes.
I have both type of Hurst shifters. Any idea where I might uy the upper boot and chrome ring?

This is the real deal with 48K miles, one owner. When bought new the owner lost his foot to cancer and had the dealer pull the 4 speed and install an automatic. All parts were put in the trunk as the story goes.
I have both type of Hurst shifters. Any idea where I might uy the upper boot and chrome ring?
Maybe one of the mopar swap meets, personally I don't know any other outlets. You may try posting here or on the B Body forum "Wanted" ads. You may have the 4 speed but I think your Hurst is an after thought from the past.

I also worked on another car of his that was also bought in 66. It was a 66 belvedere 4 door with a 440 wedge, staggered 4bbls with 39K miles. In my younger days we called this a sleeper. It would get away from you power shifting into 2nd.

I also worked on another car of his that was also bought in 66. It was a 66 belvedere 4 door with a 440 wedge, staggered 4bbls with 39K miles. In my younger days we called this a sleeper. It would get away from you power shifting into 2nd.
Post some recent pictures, we are MoPar voyeurs.

Maybe one of the mopar swap meets, personally I don't know any other outlets. You may try posting here or on the B Body forum "Wanted" ads. You may have the 4 speed but I think your Hurst is an after thought from the past.
What do you mean about the hurst shifter?

Is the round shifter which you say is stock not by Hurst. The flat bar shifter says Hurst on the shifter. The round one says nothing

What do you mean about the hurst shifter?
Inland as stated above, not Hurst shifters were installed from the factory in MoPars until I believe '69 when you would then find a Hurst in a street Mopar.

I don't mean to mislead any of you. I work for a man that buys these cars from estates and private collections. He then brings them to me to fix issues that happened due to sitting for years like no brakes, not running, carbs gummed up. etc. He then, except for a few, auctions them of or sells to public. I own none of them. I drive an 84 GMC El Camino, (Cabellaro)

Yeah but Inland shifters SUCK.
Agree. I believe it was pretty much a fact when the Hurst unit came out it was the best and all the manufacturers used it in performance applications. That Inland wont last long in "performance " driving situations...

Hmm, I recall that my 1964 Dodge Polara 500 had a Hurst shifter but the arm did not have “HURST” on it like later years. The Hurst logo was on the body of the shifter. So was it non-factory?

The "mechanism" may have been Hurst but not the shift lever.

Hurst had "shift stops" in the mechanism, which prevented the rods on the trans from being bent during hard shifting. And, o f course the triple chrome plated lever was a heavy duty piece also.

Now that you explained it, there is no mixing up the 2 shifters. The Hurst labeled flat shifter anchores with 2 bolts to the shifting mechanism. The inland round handle bolts up with 3 bolts. Thanks for the clarity.
At 80 I'm still learning things.

There is a special Hurst shifter mechanism that bolts to the Inland shift handle so the car appears to have an Inland shifter but it shifts like a Hurst.

Nonetheless, if it was my car.....even dead original and I actually DROVE IT it'd have a bonafide HURST shifter. I'd keep the Inland boxed up. To me, it's that important to have an actual GOOD shifter and Inland ain't it.

-
Back