66 Valiant /6 hood clearance

-

CruzinFNC

Reaction score
Hey Folks,
I'm gearing up to do a 4bbl/header upgrade on my 225 /6 to unlock my build. Here's what I've got and what I want to do:
I have Clifford shorty headers, a Clifford 4bbl intake, and a freshly rebuilt Holley 390. I have a stock hood with matting. I want to run an air box or plenum (carb hat) with tubular inlet so that I can plumb 4" tubing down to draw cool air up from just below the bumper and under the stock located battery.

One of my ideas (preferred) is to use an airbox enclosing a round air filter and pipe cool air from below, thereby keeping the filter drier if driving in rain. Though the only airbox that I can find that would work is rather large and requires 3.4" above the carb flange top (98678 - Spectre , Spectre Airbox Kit). On top of that, I'm not sure it would clear the elec choke mechanism and fuel bowl adjustment plug without a spacer, which would further increase overall airbox height.

The other option is to use a plenum and pipe cool air from the same location through a round flanged air filter at the pipe inlet. This would run the risk of the air filter getting wet and dirtier since it's closer to the ground. It might also add more leveraged weight on the end of the plenum, but that could be mitigated by fabbing a bracket anchored on the K frame near the filter. If going the plenum direction I would prefer to use this (9849 - Spectre , Spectre Plenum Kit). It would clear the carb and all those goodies but would require 3.5" above carb like the air box. But there's also this (98499 - Spectre , Spectre Plenum Kit) which only requires 2.5" but may not have as good of flow characteristics.

My questions are...
Have any of you done anything like this? How much clearance is there between the intake manifold surface (and square flange spacer) to the hood on these cars (66 Valiant/Barracuda, early Darts may be the same). Do any of you have experience with these products and this carb and/or car, or do you know of other airbox/plenum ideas? Thanks in advance for your opinions and ideas!!
Btw, here's my car Lil Blue...
LilBlue_Klamath_overlook_ds.jpg

First of all, very cool car. Can I ask what wheels they are and are they 5 on 4 bolt circle? I really like the look of the car with those wheels.

The best suggestion I have is to install the intake and carb and I trick is to use play-doh on top of the air cleaner lid and close the hood slowly. Open the hood and see how the play-doh flattened. That is your clearance. I have a 66 Valiant Signet slanty also.

What did you do to your 6 on the build?

Thanks for the compliment and the advice Fury. Playdough is simple enough.
Those wheels are 17x7" 5 on 4.5 Mustang Bullitt style wheels I got from Wheel Replicas, though they kinda look more like Boss 338s.
The deck and head are shaved to a 9.5:1 SCR, and balanced crank/rods; heads have 1.70/1.44 oversize valves w/ 340 springs, and ports gasket matched, modest 214 @ .05 .45 lift cam, and a hot hei ignition. 4bbl and headers should wake it up very nicely!
I've put in a 833 OD, 8.75 rear w/ 3.55 gears, bbp disc brakes, tubular UACs, adjustable hiem joint strut rods, FirmFeel anti sway bars front & rear, , .940 torsion bars, bilsteins shocks all round, and US Cartool weldin frame connectors to boot. And I'm putting in a 16:1 FirmFeel steering box this weekend. It scoots and is a hell of a lot of fun. This is my DD and my girl loves getting dropped off at school in it. Hell, she'll learn how to drive in it when her time comes. I autox it a bit and participate in the Killer Bees Slant Six races when I can.

Last edited:
Wow, I'd say that should wake it up!! Have any pictures of the rear install and the car in general? Like I said, very cool car.

We are planning to turbo charge my 6 soon. I just picked up my Valiant a few days ago. I wish I could find the trim fasteners for it.
66 Valiant Signet 3.jpeg

That's a nice clean signet! You'd catch a lot of folks by surprise if you turbo-ed it and kept those wheels, lol! I'm very interested in the turbo idea but figure that would be way down the road when/if I get around to going EFI. The NA 390 is my stepping stone for now as I currently have the stock 1bbl carter. ;-) I'd really like to follow your turbo build if you do one.
I've decided to with the 14" Spectre airbox since it's low profile and appears it'll clear the Holley, and provide a good plumbing option for a cold-air intake with the 4" opening.

Here's a few more pics of Lil Blue...
Klamath_overlook1_ds.jpg

Samoa_SlantSixRaces_2016_ds.jpg

I'll keep ya posted on the turbo if I decide to go that way. I read a lot on it and seems to be pretty simple if you don't get to crazy with the mods. We will see. I plan on finding another manifold to test fit/modify. I don't want to modify mine.

-
Back