66 valiant no start

-
Yes a hot battery is a must, can you borrow one. From another car? I don’t know what you have there.

you can try to start With starting fluid before you clean the plugs, see if it kicks or not. Then if it goes with a hot battery you don’t have to do plugs. If it starts keep it running and get it warm.
I dont really have any other batteries that would work. I'm hoping to get another one this week or next. Hopefully that will fix my issues but I'll keep the post updated. :)

To clarify: When I say “fill” I don’t mean to actually fill it till it overflows, and it will not, it will leak internally into the engine. Put in 1 ounce of fresh gas.

FBC95D8B-20B1-499A-8792-CEDDB6042E21.jpeg

I was surprised to see how inexpensive condenser and points are. I tried to do the test that 67 was talking about and had 12. something volts to the starter and 11.6 at the coil while key was on run and when I started bumping over the motor it went down to 6v and then the battery died again. I'll prob. replace points, condenser, and battery for now. It has a new ballast on it already and now a working coil. Fingers crossed but always happy to hear feed back and learn more. Thanks for the post valiantwagonguy.
I still run points in all my old cars and motorcycles. Been driving these old crates 57 years now and they always did the job just fine. Generally I replace the points and condenser every 10,000 to 15000 miles and I file the points and re set them at 5 to 7 thousand miles.They always get me home and I do travel far from home often. They are reliable if you understand them ,I prefer them.

I still run points in all my old cars and motorcycles. Been driving these old crates 57 years now and they always did the job just fine. Generally I replace the points and condenser every 10,000 to 15000 miles and I file the points and re set them at 5 to 7 thousand miles.They always get me home and I do travel far from home often. They are reliable if you understand them ,I prefer them.
I was pretty intimidated when I started this post. But I'm warming up to them. Still have a lot of learning to do but thankful for everyone's feed back and patience helping me learn.

Update: finally was able to pick up a battery. Out fuel in carb (not a lot) but still didn't fire off. Hooked up my inline spark plug tester and got fire out of coil but not out of distributor. Pulled the cap and noticed the rotor tab was bent some. Fixed the rotor but want to replace, after fixing rotor I was now getting fire out of distributor but still not trying to fire. Looked at volts with points closed and key on and I'm only getting 5.94 to 5.97 volts at coil. I think the points and condenser may need to be replaced. Thinking of replacing points condenser, rotor, and cap. Thoughts? Thanks again for everyone's input.

-
Back