66 valiant with 360 help needed.

-

younggun2.0

Reaction score
If all goes according to plan i will be picking up a 66 valiant this weekend. the car is a roller with no engine and trans. on sunday i will be pulling a 5.9 magnum engine out of a durango. i plan to run the 5.9 with stock long block and a eddy intake and 650 carb. what is a good choice for exhaust? in know these cars are tight fits with the small blocks. do any a-body manifolds fit? trying to get this going for cheap. i would even consider a header in the 300-400 range that fits without hanging super low.

'64-'66 273 exhaust manifolds bolt right up. The only header options are Hooker fenderwells, Doug's chassis exit, or TTI chassis exit. If you want a set of those prepare to say goodbye to one of your nads. $$$$ Dakota/Durango manifolds will fit with enough grinding on the manifolds and/or steering coupler. '67 up manifolds won't fit on the driver's side. Oddly enough '65 C body big block manifolds work great if you want to go that route, but you will need to swap in a big block to use them.

'64-'66 273 exhaust manifolds bolt right up. The only header options are Hooker fenderwells, Doug's chassis exit, or TTI chassis exit. If you want a set of those prepare to say goodbye to one of your nads. $$$$ Dakota/Durango manifolds will fit with enough grinding on the manifolds and/or steering coupler. '67 up manifolds won't fit on the driver's side. Oddly enough '65 C body big block manifolds work great if you want to go that route, but you will need to swap in a big block to use them.

there is a set of the 273 manifolds for sale locally here. do you have a picture that you know to be correct so that i can reference it to his?

Have the manifold in my hand but no way to take a pic of it. :banghead: The casting number is 2465847. The main difference between the early manifolds and the '67 on is the outlet. The '67 on outlet points down after wrapping around the steering box while the older ones have a 90 and point to the rear of the car at that point. They also have an extra hole in the outlet flange to accept the bracing that comes from the block for support. The big choke point on these manifolds is the ball socket on the outlet. Mine measures 1 1/2" across the opening. Looks to me like the outlet could be drilled out to get a 2" or 2 1/4" outlet with the use of a flat pipe flange and gasket. Most of the restriction is the ball itself. Hope this helps.

there is a set of the 273 manifolds for sale locally here. do you have a picture that you know to be correct so that i can reference it to his?

the 64-66 273 mainfolds will NOT work on the magnum.
there is a hump right under the exhaust on the heads wich will hit the mainfold. I crash one head trying to machine the head to get the mainfold fitting. :eek:ops:
Sorry for the bad Spelling, hope you get what I ment :newb:

Attachments

• early exhaust.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_0243.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_0244.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 214
here is the picture from the add. he wants 200 bucks for the one.

manifold_zpse614ef49.jpg

well that sucks. im glad i asked before i bought them. is it possible to grind on the manifold and the head to make it fit? looks like im going to have to pony up for a set of headers.

what do you guys recommend for headers. fit, finish and performance being most important. cost is what it is. if i have to shell out 800 bucks for a set of pipes that will last forever then thats worth it to me.

well that sucks. im glad i asked before i bought them. is it possible to grind on the manifold and the head to make it fit? looks like im going to have to pony up for a set of headers.

what do you guys recommend for headers. fit, finish and performance being most important. cost is what it is. if i have to shell out 800 bucks for a set of pipes that will last forever then thats worth it to me.

Well that´s what I´m trying to do and the water pour out of the head,, the wall i very thin..

When I put my magnum in the car I will build me a set of fender well headers...

Otherwise I will go for the TTI headers...

Have the manifold in my hand but no way to take a pic of it. :banghead: The casting number is 2465847. The main difference between the early manifolds and the '67 on is the outlet. The '67 on outlet points down after wrapping around the steering box while the older ones have a 90 and point to the rear of the car at that point. They also have an extra hole in the outlet flange to accept the bracing that comes from the block for support. The big choke point on these manifolds is the ball socket on the outlet. Mine measures 1 1/2" across the opening. Looks to me like the outlet could be drilled out to get a 2" or 2 1/4" outlet with the use of a flat pipe flange and gasket. Most of the restriction is the ball itself. Hope this helps.

Great info... Wondered about this very thing....

Well that´s what I´m trying to do and the water pour out of the head,, the wall i very thin..

When I put my magnum in the car I will build me a set of fender well headers...

Otherwise I will go for the TTI headers...

The following link addresses this very issue. Jameybro used the early a manifold on a magnum head without issue (see post #15). Are you talking about the 302 head by any chance? Please post the head casting #...

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=175310&highlight=magnum+early+manifolds

The following link addresses this very issue. Jameybro used the early a manifold on a magnum head without issue (see post #15). Are you talking about the 302 head by any chance? Please post the head casting #...

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=175310&highlight=magnum+early+manifolds

hmm.. yes, the head that I crash has the smog-spot. but when I try to put an early mainfold on my 5.9 from 2002 tonight, the mainfold toush the head. I did asumed that it was the water chanel in there.
I hope that I was wrong....:eek:ops:

Has anyone ever used a set of custom Tri-Y headers for there early a body from a guy by the name Johnson ..... I think he was from the Tennessee area ??? I have a set.

Quick and dirty, get the manifolds when you pull the engine out of the Durango. Those are supposed to fit with the interference coming between the outlet flange and the steering coupler. Try 'em and see, they're already on the engine. Besides, you can answer a question for all of us. :glasses7:

Quick and dirty, get the manifolds when you pull the engine out of the Durango. Those are supposed to fit with the interference coming between the outlet flange and the steering coupler. Try 'em and see, they're already on the engine. Besides, you can answer a question for all of us. :glasses7:

ya that sounds like a good plan. i will do that. it is not hard to put a new steering universal joint in right at the steering box and lengthen the steering shaft. i have also cut back the steering column housing and installed the plastic busing before.

-
Back