67-69 Barracuda Bumper on a 70-72 Duster

-

74Dusted

Stock Piler of 340's
Reaction score
Anybody have a 67-69 barracuda front bumper laying around that they could compare to the front of a 70-72 Duster in terms of width and such? I have this idea of installing one on the front of my 74 Duster (71 Clone) with a custom front valance. But I don't have a 67-69 bumper at the moment.

I tried it with a Demon bumper and loved the way it looked on the car, but the Demon bumper curves out too far to match up with the 71 Duster grille

Is the Duster bumper shaped like a shallow V (looking down at the top), or is it straight across? Because the Barracuda bumper is definitely not straight across. The Barracuda nose piece is pointed and has a lip to exactly match the profile of the bumper. I would think you would at least need a piece with this profile to fill the gap between the base of the grill and the bumper.

fyi 67-9 barracuda bumper is same front or rear, just different brackets. I could hold a 67-9 bcuda bumper up to my brothers 74 Duster if that is helpful. His bumper is on, but i guess it would check for width

fyi 67-9 barracuda bumper is same front or rear, just different brackets. I could hold a 67-9 bcuda bumper up to my brothers 74 Duster if that is helpful. His bumper is on, but i guess it would check for width

That would help greatly. I'm mainly concerned about the width compared to the fenders and to get a better visualization of what I have in mind.

I think you are on to something. With his bumper on, we were unable to slide it in where the finders are narrower, but it looks like it will fit, and look pretty good. You have my brother eyeballing my parts now!

fyi these bumpers are available in fiberglass if you wanted to go that route.

Attachments

• IMduster with cuda bumper 2.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 335
  • IMduster with cuda bumper 1.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 295
YES! Thank you!

That's what I needed to see. The idea came to me a few years ago with my '71 Demon, I thought "I should put a Cuda Bumper on the Rear", because you know they've got the small bumper on the front, and the barn wall on the back (that never made sense, but they still looked great)

I never got that far to try it with the Demon, but the idea has remained in my head ever since. Now I'm going to try it with my '74 ('71 Clone), I should probably put one on the rear too, so it matches. :D

YES! Thank you!
I never got that far to try it with the Demon, but the idea has remained in my head ever since. Now I'm going to try it with my '74 ('71 Clone), I should probably put one on the rear too, so it matches. :D

If I think about we will try the rear too. Would love to see it when you do do it! do you have a build thread?

If I think about we will try the rear too. Would love to see it when you do do it! do you have a build thread?

I'm pretty sure I do, but it hasn't been posted in for a very long time.

Wow, yeah I'd say it's been a while. February 2012 :prayer:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=139980

She was pretty banged up at one point in her life : Driver's Side Quarter, and part of the door were caved in, filled, and then repainted in the original "Frost Mint Green" (and then was repainted Plum Crazy Purple some time in the mid 80's). Leading me to believe it had a straight body when I painted it Rallye Red.

It's taken a long time, but I took it to bare metal, welded in a good bit of metal, converted it to a '71, and who knows what all else. It's been going on for so long, I've forgotten half the stuff I did :D The Blown 340 is sitting on an engine stand in the garage (has been for ages), waiting to be dropped in the car.

The car is awaiting paint, and a small list of parts (about $150 worth of stuff). I even have all the stuff to paint the car, sitting on the shelf. Rallye Red with Black & Silver Metal Flake.

I should probably update that thread one of these days, when I remember to grab some pictures.

@CudaChris67 @74Dusted I know this is an ooold thread but have either of you ever made any progress with this?

Not really. My Duster is still torn apart, though I did decide to convert the car into a ‘71 Demon Clone. I’m probably still going to install a Barracuda bumper on the rear (with a Valance) so that it matches the front of the car.

Not really. My Duster is still torn apart, though I did decide to convert the car into a ‘71 Demon Clone. I’m probably still going to install a Barracuda bumper on the rear (with a Valance) so that it matches the front of the car.
Fiberglass bumpers are easily had. Easily modified too. Just a thought.

Fiberglass bumpers are easily had. Easily modified too. Just a thought.

That was something I was considering, though I may go with metal bumpers because she is a street car.

Though “Street Car” is a term used loosely, considering it has an 8-71 Blown 426 (R3 340 Stroker), and I’m shedding weight everywhere I can, within reason. She’ll still have most of the interior when I’m done, and still keeping the A/C

-
Back