'67 Barracuda 500ci Restomod

-
Thanks for the input!

My idea definetly involved a compression increase by using a mid 60's set of 383 closed chamber heads with some work done. I know the stock 400 compression is to low for sure. I figure with 9.5.1 or so compression and a good cam, it would run pretty good. I think stock compression is like 8.2...

On the flip side, a 360 with Magnum heads and a good cam will make some killer horsepower without much else done to it. My '69 is already setup for a small block and I have an extra 360 laying here torn down. I also have a 400 but I really have not tore into it to see the condition. I am going for the use what I have approach. The 360 in the car now is a stock '74 in ok condition.

If you add a decent closed chamber head that can flow well enough, then you should be able to get a decent amount of HP out of it. Also, what year of 400 and 727 are you working with? I recently discovered that since my engine and tranny were built in 1978 they probably have the lock-up torque converter. This presents a problem since there are virtually no transmission improvement kits for the lock-up 727...

If you add a decent closed chamber head that can flow well enough, then you should be able to get a decent amount of HP out of it. Also, what year of 400 and 727 are you working with? I recently discovered that since my engine and tranny were built in 1978 they probably have the lock-up torque converter. This presents a problem since there are virtually no transmission improvement kits for the lock-up 727...

The 400 is a '73. I have to get a trans for it still...

The old 727/904 trick that I have always done revolved around pulling the valve body out a little ways and removing the accumulator spring. Then I'd adjust the line pressure almost all the way out (the allen head screw on the side of the valve body that sets in the spring). As far as I know, this trick works on all the old school 727's and 904's. It costs nothing to do it but a little time and a fluid change.

It worked killer on my former '71 Duster bracket car!!

Warning; If you want it smooth shifting, don't do this!!!!

I just finished the first stage of my build: full MSD ignition system with an adjustable Mopar Performance distributor. It's not much but I think that it's a good piece to have in place before I start to increase the engine efficiency and a must before increasing the compression ratio later on down the road.

While I was at it, I also added the last couple of pieces that the car needed in order to be NHRA legal: a braided fuel hose and a catch can. I hooked up the hoses on the catch can so that it actually works as an overflow reservoir. I attached the hose coming from the radiator to the bottom of the catch can so that the radiator can draw overflow back in when it cools down. The hose coming from the top of the catch directs any further overflow to the ground, but I doubt the overflow will ever exceed the capacity of the catch can. The hoses are all clamped in place and all I'll have to do is plug the upper catch can nipple at the drag strip so that no coolant can leak onto the track.

That's all for now, I think I'll address the fuel system next. Probably going to run a Holley electric pump with 3/8" braided hose up to an inner-fender mounted fuel pressure regulator. Still haven't decided whether I want to run a mechanical or electric pump though so if anyone has some advice please chime in.

Oh yeah! Never mind that horrible Edelbrock air filter that's on the engine now. Yes I know it's ghetto and it will be replaced by a K&N x-stream filter soon...

Attachments

• DSC01581.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 245
if you are still looking for a 400, I have one from a cordoba with 727 trans. I am just west of Portland, Or.

-
Back