67 Barracuda and 69 Roadrunner Paint Codes

-

1badfish67

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Got a 67 Barracuda Fastback that was original MM1 Turbine Bronze Metallic. Restoring it but would like to lighten the shade of the MM1a little, if possible or go with the 69 T5 code. I think Plymouth may have called the T5 something like Bronze Fire Metallic?

Looks like the MM1that was on the car was originally shot over a red colored primer/sealer? Car has been taken down to metal and currently primed in a light gray.

Would anyone here know where to find factory code for the OEM original primer sealer they would have used in 67, if I decide to go back all original color.

Thanks Everyone

Just my opinion, but...

The turbine bronze metallic is about as perfect of a color as you can get.
Now, I get what you are saying about wanting to lighten the shade of the paint. A bit lighter would look amazing. With the red primer that you described, the top color will be a bit deeper/darker than if you go with a light primer. Light gray primer may, or may not, get you the shade you're after. White primer may be a better choice, if you really want the color to come across lighter.
Or, check out House of Color and search up a metallic copper. You will probably find the perfect color.

i had an original 68 Turbine Bronze fastback Formula S 340 4 speed in high school and have recreated that car. i painted it with old school single stage acrylic lacquer so it would look the cars did in 68. i love this color.

DSCN0972 (1).jpg

DSCN0969 - Copy.jpg

20150830_123735 (1).jpg

Just my opinion, but...

ThanksJohn and Jim. Seems I was hasty on the primer sealer color under the original paint.
When the paint/body guy got the trunk lid off the car we noticed the paint looked to be over a light gray color. Also found some putty up front where the red was under the color layer.
We did a little more investigating at the door posts and under the hood. Both have light gray under the color.

Just made 4 hr round trip to paint shop and picked up a pint of each code/reducer etc and some test cards. Hopefully all goes well. Once we shined up the original MM1 on underside of trunk lid, I think I kinda like it. Car has black interior and plan on black stripe.
Hopefully will have color on the car by end of the month. Will post some pics when done.

Thanks again

Now, I get what you are saying about wanting to lighten the shade of the paint. A bit lighter would look amazing. With the red primer that you described, the top color will be a bit deeper/darker than if you go with a light primer. Light gray primer may, or may not, get you the shade you're after. White primer may be a better choice, if you really want the color to come across lighter.
Or, check out House of Color and search up a metallic copper. You will probably find the perfect color.

Just my opinion, but...

Not sure last reply was sent but thanks John and Jim.

I may have been hasty on the red under color being original.
We took the trunk lid and hood off and scraped down in a couple of places and been it looks like the MM1 is over a light gray sealer. My apologies.

When we shined up the paint in these two areas I think I kinda like the MM1.

Just got back from 4 hr trip to paint store and picked up a pint of each code along with necessities to mix them and some metal test cards. Went with all PPG in single stage Acrylic Enamel.

Hopefully will have color on the car by end of the month. Will post some pics if anyone interested in how it goes?

Thanks again

Not sure last reply was sent but thanks John and Jim.

I may have been hasty on the red under color being original.
We took the trunk lid and hood off and scraped down in a couple of places and been it looks like the MM1 is over a light gray sealer. My apologies.

When we shined up the paint in these two areas I think I kinda like the MM1.

Just got back from 4 hr trip to paint store and picked up a pint of each code along with necessities to mix them and some metal test cards. Went with all PPG in single stage Acrylic Enamel.

Hopefully will have color on the car by end of the month. Will post some pics if anyone interested in how it goes?

Thanks again

Hey badfish67...

where were you able to find PPG single stage Acrylic Enamel? i have called around Pittsburgh (where PPG is located) and the paint suppliers here have original PPG OEM Plymouth resto Acrylic Enamel paint but they want $1000/gallon for it!! because of that, i've been buying Acrylic Lacquer from TCP Global auto body supplies in San Diego, California. they will still mix old single stage paint but you have to be from outside CA to buy it.

i would love to find a source for single-stage Acrylic Enamel as that was what Chrysler originally used on the 60's and 70's cars.

Hey badfish67...

where were you able to find PPG single stage Acrylic Enamel? i have called around Pittsburgh (where PPG is located) and the paint suppliers here have original PPG OEM Plymouth resto Acrylic Enamel paint but they want $1000/gallon for it!! because of that, i've been buying Acrylic Lacquer from TCP Global auto body supplies in San Diego, California. they will still mix old single stage paint but you have to be from outside CA to buy it.

i would love to find a source for single-stage Acrylic Enamel as that was what Chrysler originally used on the 60's and 70's cars.

Hey Jim. Sorry for not getting back. I went back with the original color (MM1 Turbine Bronze Metallic) as listed on fender badge. The paint folks I used said they could mix single stage Acrylic Enamel. I didn't price it. I decided to go with a single stage Urethane Enamel paint. Paint folks said it would look just as good and hold up under UV better. I was told that these folks have been doing nothing but paint since around 1946, so figured they probably knew what they were doing. Friend of mine that is a paint and body guy and manages a shop in OKC, Oklahoma told me about them. I think all they may do is PPG but don't quote me on that.
Company is called English Supply or English Color and Supply in OKC. Phone: (405) 631-4343

-
Back