67 barracuda drive shaft paint color ?

-

273 ball

Reaction score
Hi what color and finish . did the factory use on the drive shaft on a 67 barracuda with a 7 1/4 rear end .

I would paint it school bus yellow so I could find it easily at the driveshaft playground so it's easier to pick it up and get it to the driveshaft soccer practice after driveshaft school.

But that's just me.

Eastwood has a reasonably convincing "bare metal" paint, if you aren't comfortable with leaving it natural.

I found that any of the readily available stainless steel spray paint have as good if not better "bare steel" look.
The driveshaft to my Polara being painted...
2016-01-18_007.jpg

Alan

True. I just noticed at Ace Hardware that they had all kinds of metal-look finishes on the rack.

The paint looks nice but the dent in the drive shaft doesn't look good. Make sure it's not bent it will fail. I think if the drive shaft is original and rusted real bad you may want to have it replaced. I can't tell you how many rusty drive shafts I have seen break with just normal driving

The paint looks nice but the dent in the drive shaft doesn't look good. Make sure it's not bent it will fail. I think if the drive shaft is original and rusted real bad you may want to have it replaced. I can't tell you how many rusty drive shafts I have seen break with just normal driving

The driveshaft was inspected, the dent was superficial, maybe a 1/16" deep, very minor surface rust, Scotch-Brite, primer, paint.

Alan

Its all good. I had a customer with a 69 Nova with a 283 in it and the drive shaft was a little rusty according to him but he sanded the surface and painted it to make it look better. Going do the highway at 65 MPH I broke and half jammed into the floor and the other half came out and hit another car. It was a SH*T storm. He had to replace a big piece of the floor and tunnel, replace the transmission case because it broke. The best part was being sued by the people in the other car. It was bad. The point is using a 50 year old drive shaft may not be the best if there is any question about it staying in the car

-
Back