67 Barracuda Rallye Dash removal ?

-

yarcraft91

Reaction score
My '67 Barracuda has the rallye dash and it needs work. Recently, both the temperature gauge and speedometer quit. Temp gauge reads about 1/3 scale when ignition off or cold engine, slightly lower when the engine is warmed up, does not respond when the sensor wire is shorted to ground, voltage limiter appears to be working. Speedo head seized and snapped the end off the speedometer cable. It looks like I might need to pull the dash instrument panel and all the stuff that goes with it and get these gauges repaired. If I do that, I'll have all the gauges rebuilt.

The last time this dash was pulled was 1974 and I remember the Plymouth dealership mechanic griped that he spent the whole day doing the job. So, how bad is this job and is there a high risk of screwing up something that makes it worse (like breaking electrical connectors)? My alternative is to leave the dash well-enough alone, mount an aftermarket temp gauge and use a Garmin GPS for speedo/odo. Right now, I have a dependable driver where everything works but those gauges- I'd hate to screw that up.

If the Plymouth dealership took the whole day to do the job they didn't know what they were doing.
Seriously though, taking the dash out does require some finesse but once you've done it it's easy. I would recommend getting some help or guidance from someone who's done it or you will break something.

If you opt to do it yourself start by disconnecting the neg. battery cable. Drop the steering column a bit and take out all the screws to the instrument cluster. You'll also have to disconnect the speedo cable as well as the headlight switch, flasher wiring, harness wiring, ammeter wires, and heater controls. Once all that is done carefully slide it out without beating up your paint or the plastic dash parts. It should take about 20 minutes if you're good.

There is a detailed proceedure in the factory service manual. It will disable the car though. You wouldn't believe how easy it is to break something either during removing the panel from the dashl or during panel disassembly on the workbench.
I've got my own method of removing the panel that leaves the car drivable but I could probably come and do it for you faster than I could type it all.
If leaving the car parked for a while isn't a problem , factory service maual is probably the your best plan.

I have a well-worn factory service manual and I've read the procedure. The manual isn't very helpful about how not to break delicate things.

I'd crawl into the footwell and study the backside of the instrument panel, but the car has an aftermarket A/C unit that blocks the view. :cry:

Tou'll probably need to drop that unit to the floor. Still have stock radio ?

Yep, still have the stock AM radio and it still works. As for the A/C, it has worked just fine since I got the car (1974), otherwise I would have pulled it. Dropping the A/C to the floor will be interesting- the car has a console. I could pull the A/C- still have plenty of spare R12 to re-charge it.

Lets not consider dumping freon yet.I think we can work around it.

Mine has an aftermarket A/C unit that is mounted between the console and the bottom of the dash. I'm sure the dash would come out without moving my A/C but it sure would be easier to see what's behind the dash if the A/C was moved out of the way first.

There is another agenda- the shifter boot is torn. I have the replacement part, but it requires pulling out the console. That WILL require moving the A/C.

-
Back