67 Brake option?

-

Small Block

Reaction score
Were a disc brake an option as early as 67 on a Dart Gt? What units will work best for a conversion to disc. The PO said the car was converted to LBP but upon inspection it only has the plates to make it LBP. The spindles are still SBP. Whether or not he knew this is not an issue. I will be converting it. Input please.
Small Block

SBP Kelsey Hayes disc brakes were offered on factory Abodies from late 1964 until late 1972. The calipers are 4 piston calipers, and the rotors are unique to that SBP K-H setup. These are two piece rotors with a rotor hat that is seperated and re-used, whenever the rotors require replacement.

The rotors are available through numerous sources, and from several manufacturers including Centric, for a reasonable price.

The calipers are also widely available, A1 Cardone being one of several sources for rebuilt units. Wheel bearings, brake hoses, seals and the like are widely available, you just have to look.

As you correctly noted, the K-H disc brake setup has a unique spindle.

Hope this helps.

Yep, '73-'76 disc swap if you want LBP and swap the rear brakes to 10X2 1/2". The Kelsey Hayes brakes were an option on any A body after '64. Dad had a '67 Valiant 4 door with a slant/automatic and disc brakes. The brakes were one of the few options on the car. Unless you just gotta have LBP, I wouldn't bother to swap them out. They were good brakes.

I had a 66 Dart GT with the KH disk brakes. They work fine and IMHO are easier to change pads on. If you're going to convert, besides the spindle, grab the master cylinder, and proportioning valve. You'll also need front brake hoses, but you're better off going with new ones than salvage.

I have several sets out in the field on various cars. I even have a set of KH units but they are SBP. The rear has been changed to an 8.75 which is a LBP unit so i think i will just use the LBP on the front.
Small Block

if you have several sets of LBP still on cars, I'd go that route in a heartbeat. I paid 250 for my setup a couple years ago... glad I did, it stops much better!

-
Back