'67 Chrysler "Firepower" 440

-

65barracudadude

Reaction score
I got a call last night about a car that I had found and asked about last year. It is a '67 Chrysler New Yorker. It is all original except the air cleaner is off of a Super commando 440. It is from the original owner. It has like 113,000. original miles. The reverse band in the 727 broke. It has been sitting under some trees with a tarp securely bungied over it for about 10 years. I know it sucks that I don't have any pictures at this moment. But by the end of the day I can possibly produce some. I remember that it was in really good shape except the paint. White interior. I'm just curious if this is a car that is worth obtaining? I know that any car with a 440 is worth obtaining for the right price, but how about this one? And being the reverse band broke in the 727, is that something that is an easy fix, or do you think that there may be other issues with it?? The reason I'm asking is because I can get the car for a really good price. But I've never even owned a big block before, and I really don't know what they are worth. The original owner said that the motor is the high comp. motor. When the gas companies got rid of leaded gasoline he took it to Chrysler to have them install some kind of gadget that hooks to the carb. that distributes alcohol or something into the motor. I cannot remember what he said it was called, but he knew everything about these cars. I mean he went on with all of this info for like an hour. I really couldn't keep up. Is this car something worth getting? Well, do any of you big block dudes know the answer to these questions?? And was Chrysler's version of the high compression 440 called the "Fire power"? Someone on here said that was incorrect. But didn't say what the name was.

Wouldn't that 440 have the.....what are they?.....516 heads? Small combustion chamber and little bit smaller valves? If I was gonna buy it, I don't think I could throw away the whole car just for that motor, unless the body was trashed. Steel crank too I believe. Sounds cool if it's cheap.

There is NO WAY!!!!! I'd even think of throwing away the body or even taking the motor out at all. I'm just asking these questions because I don't have any pictures of the car. I figured asking the worth of the motor would be fine without pictures. The car is AWESOME!!!!!

O.K. what ever Chrysler's version of the "Super commando" is. I always thought that it was the "Firepower". I thought Chrysler's was the "Firepower", Plymouth's was the "Super Commando", and Dodge's was the "Magnum"???? Am I wrong??

unless the rest of the car is very nice you are buying just the motor, almost no reopro items for a c body.

Ya, I know about the availability of repro parts. The car is VERY NICE!!!! The only things wrong with it is the broken reverse band in the transmission and the paint is showing it's age and then some.

goldfish65, I believe that you are correct. I think he did say that it was a TNT. He was talking so fast I really couldn't make everything out very well. I do know that the air cleaner on it is the wrong one. It is off of a "Super Commando".

I know 1966 was the first year of the famed 440...and Chrysler called their line of 440's "TNT 440" and it was rated at 350hp with a Carter 650 AFB carb.

Without seeing the pics of the car I would say its not worth A WHOLE lot, but it is still valuable....Pre-68 BigBlock cars have 742 Case 8.75 rears and most likely a 3.23 Sure-grip if not a 3.55, the reverse band shouldn't be too complicated of fix, but a full rebuild should be in order to just alleviate any REDO hassles.

I picked up a 66' Chrysler with a TNT 440, 727, and 742 cased 8.75 for $200 but it had all the glass busted out.

Another thing to check is the RB pad behind the AC Compressor, and scrape it real good and clean and look for special factory stampings like a Diamond or a Maltese Cross...the Diamond denotes Oversized Lifters and I cannot remember what the Maltese Cross signifies.

Good Luck....I wouldn't give more than $1000 for it unless its super clean/rust free.

Thanks Prine, I really value your answers to my questions. I'll check out that RB pad. The car is in really good shape. I guess I'll have to get a few pictures of it. I hate not having some pictures of it. Thanks again. Also thanks daredevil, I'll check out that site.

Everything in the power train is rebuildable with parts available today. It's just a 440 with maybe closed chambered heads,maybe 915's, that can be rebuilt also. Body parts and interior can be had but could be expensive.

Terry

A maltese cross denotes .001 u/s crank bearings.
A maltese cross followed by an 'X' denotes .010 u/s bearings, refer to special stampings on specfic pads of the crank for journals affected.

A '67 440 has the letter 'C' preceding the displacment, with 'C' denoting 1967, ie;

C 440

The "TNT" 440 was the 375hp version of the 440, produced from 1966 through 1971, in Chrysler's performance cars and was, from '67 on typically equipped with high flow exhaust manifolds, windage tray, higher rate cam, valve springs and a CARTER AFB ('67) or AVS (68-'71), either model had a rating of 750 cfms.

The "TNT 440" in a Chrysler in 1967 was nearly the exact same engine as the GTX-R/T engine with the exception of the driver's exhaust manifold, the oil pan and the valve covers (C body valve covers have different plug wire holders and heater hose holder).

There were a very few 1965-1968 Fullsize cars built with 4 speeds and RB engines. The '66-'68 4 speed cars were built with a very special DANA rear end (Model 53 at 9.25") that was available with only 3.31 rear end gears and a 30 spline power lock suregrip.

Back in '04 I had occasion to haul 2 such cars, a '67 300, 440 4 speed, console car and a '67 Fury, 440 4 speed, similarly loaded. VERY unusual cars and highly desired in the fullsize world.

Mark.

The rear band is a pretty big job to replace cause you have to remove the trans. and completely disassemble it to replace it. Also consider this. This trans was pulling around 2-1/2 tons for 113,000 miles so it probably means the clutches and bands are worn quite a bit and figure 42 year old seals are most likely hard as a rock so I'd say it needs a full rebuild of the trans.

If you like the car and the price is right why not go for it. My first car was a 66 Newport and while it was a neat car it was a land barge which I'm not crazy about. For that reason and the fact they don't bring much money even fully restored (nowhere close to what you put into them) I don't think I'd own one again but that's just my thoughts. I would never dis somebody for owning one though. To each his own I say.

Thanks everyone for responding. I'm going to get the car. I really like it. And I already have another transmission for it. So thanks. I'll post some pictures once the car is in my possession.

Best thing about that particular year 440 TNT was the big valve, closed chamber heads. Only came on '67 440's ( first year for 440). In '68 they went to the open chamber heads. I have a set now that I put 2.19/1.88 valves in. They will raise the compression on a 383/400/440 quick and easy. The earlier (66 and back) had the puny valves. And that motor has a steel crank and rods.You will never break them!I like New Yorkers! Much cooler than a Newport.See if it has the power seat and the Tilt-Away Steering wheel. Plus you can always start a Family in the back seat. And with a High Compression 440/375 HossPowa mota! Shweeet!

Ya, I'm pretty pumped on this car. It does have the tilt away steering wheel I believe. I'm not sure about the power seat option though. I'll get a much better look at it tomorrow morning. I'm going to see about driving it out of there. I hope that the forward gears work in the trans.

You should be able to go rorward. The damage is already done so don't worry abort hurting the trans. Is it a console car? I think 2 doors are probably a littl more rare than 4 doors. I excited for ya good luck! I've been trying to pry a 67 Chrysler town and country wagon with 21000 miles awat from the original owner for years. Do I need it? Hell no but ,it would be so f'n cool!

-
Back