67 Cuda Convertible - All In!

-

goomasterc

Reaction score
OK. So this is my first restoration and I've already learned that:

1. It takes longer than you think
2. It costs more than it's worth

With that said, I feel it is my duty to preserve the past and it is my intent to will this vehicle back onto the road! (I'm certain there are those that may have put it to pasture...)

History: My brother in law was the second owner and drove it regularly until he put it into storage about 10 years ago. On the surface, she looked beautiful but the frame told another story (damn mice). Complete, original car.

So here's how it is going to work. My new found abodiesonly friends, Jeff and Jerry Davidson (aka Dodge33) have "volunteered" to work on the body and power train. I will focus on the interior. Here is where we started about 1 year ago.

Well, here's what has been done to date:
1. Down to frame alone now on a giant set of beams. LOTS of work to do here. We'll be reporting out but a lot of new metal
2. Seats recovered with heaters for those cold evenings
3. Wiring / IP under complete reconstruction. Will look as good as new. I'm an electrical engineer by training so this is fun; refurbished convertible pump, wiper motor, heater blower motor.

Long term plans:
1. Keep original color - turbine bronze metallic
2. Replace 273 with 318 (or 340). Me and the Davidson team are thinking about that one. Suggestions welcome!
3. Other than that, keep as original as possible!

Looking good...
One suggestion (if you havent already done it) is if the hydraulic convertible lines are original- change them!
Thank God that I accidentally bent one when I was putting heat barrier/sound deadener down. It was so brittle it snapped. Both lines looked good but were physically shot. Cant imagine the mess it would have made if/when they did leak and my new carpet would have been toast.
Heres my resto thread- see #38 :
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=82832

You have a better start than I did. I am restoring a 68 cuda drop top and almost finished with the project, it has been a 3 year project to this point, suspension, interior and body work and paint have been completed all I have left is the engine and transmission to do. I will be pulling them out of another car in the next few weeks cleaning and painting them, hope to have it on the road next year. best of luck on your project Bob

-
Back