67 Cuda Header Install ??

-

pastortom1

Reaction score
Haven't done headers in a while, but remember that even on my B-Bodies they were a real pain to put in.......On my little Cuda, there seems to be NO room at the Inn.........

Could I please hear from some guys who've done this install before.....? 67 Cuda with a 273 and power steering.........

Just WHAT am I up against? Filter relocation? Starter swap? Nightmares??

HELP...............:toothy10:

Every brand of headers are goint to be a little different in what is required but here are my recomendations;

1. You need the car up in the air 2-3 ft so the headers can be slipped into place from below.

2. Other than TTIs and Dougs the steering linkage goes through the tubes so you will need to disconnect the inner tie rod on the drivers side and the pitman arm from the center link.

3. The passenger side goes in with little fuss but it is easier if you remove the oil filter. The Hedmans I am using DO NOT require a remote or 90 degree oil filter adapter but you will need to use the shorter PH16 or PH43 size filter.

4. For the drivers side I find it so much easier and less hassles to just remove the steering coluum. There are three bolts on the edge of the dash, three on the floor and a roll pin at the coupler. You can do it without removing the coluum but for the 20-40 minutes it takes to R&R the steering coluum it elminates a huge amount of frustration and cussing, plus you won't need to jack the engine out of its mounts. Also unbolt the steering box but leave it in place.

5. Slide the header on the drivers side up into place from belwo and bunge cord it to the block. Slide the steering box back into place and bolt it back down. Now bolt the header to the block. Then re-install the steering coluum.

6. The hedman headers work with either the full size starter or mini starter plus you can R&R either without removing the header. On the full size starter you will need to disconnect the inner tie rod end and crank the pitman arm over to allow it to slide out.

7. The mounting bolts are awful close to the tubes on a small block. I recomend that you get header bolts that have a reduced size hex. Stay away from allen head or 12 point heads. The ones I use are from Mr. Gasket and have a 3/8" hex and a 12 point 1/4" drive socket will fit on all but a couple and for those two a 3/8" open end will fit.

Have fun!

-
Back