67 Dart, 7" for 8 3/4 Rear swap- Driveshaft alterations-

-

rod

Reaction score
-So I have a stock 67 Dart, 225 Slant Six Automatic Transmission.
I recently pulled out my stock 7" rear and put in a 8 3/4 "A" Body rear w/ 323 gears, big bolt Moser axles and so although I thought this would be a simple swap but soon realized my stock driveshaft is a bit too long. If anyone has done this swap like this can fill me in on what type/length of shaft I need as a new replacement- that would rock. Thanks much.

I'm seeing 1.75-2.0 inches everywhere.
Did a Google search for "How much to shorten my driveshaft for an 8.75 rear end"

^^^^^^^^^ yeah,1 3/4 '' .That's what it was when I did my 67 Dart. Now the one I had was the one with the rubber sleeve in the tube.Drive shaft shop made a new tube with new joints for about $300.

7.25 to 8 3/4 usually takes a 2.25" shorter driveshaft. You should measure to confirm though, as the length needed changes with ride height and your current driveshaft might not have been perfect to begin with.

Thanks for the feedback guys. 72bluNblu- good to hear back from you :)
Yea- I thought it might have been my drive shaft was not all the way in and so I pulled it out, cleaned it a bit more, put it back in and is still too long so I'll get under to measure but 1/75-2.25" sounds about right.
Say- here's a thought- what year "A" Body would have had a shorter shaft stock? Like- the guy I bought the rear from said it came out of a 68 year car- I'm thinking maybe try to locate the driveshaft from that car as well if it's still in his barn.

Here ya go, might help.
For 70-71 but I don't think they changed.

driveshaftc.JPG

Nice. Thanks. I actually checked when I went home and it looks as if my current shaft is just about 2.25" too long so that does make sense.
My current tranny is a 904 -vs- the 727/833 listed above but I do have a guy who has a bunch of old shafts so I'm going to take mine to him, compare some of the others and find one that's 2.25" shorter and try that :)

-
Back