67 Dart GT convertible-overrever

-

overrever

Chris
Reaction score
I traded off one of my 68 Darts that I was building into a driver for a 67 Dart GT convertible. The car is in decent shape, amasingly only a few rust issues. The trunk is solid, lower passenger rear quarter, & passenger rear floor pan need to be replaced. The car was in the middle of a resto. big bolt front disk and big bolt 8-1/4 rear. The man I got it from wanted to pro street a Dart and didnt want to tub the convertible & I wanted to build a driver so we swaped titles. It looks like all of the parts are there too, and there is alot of parts. Here is what I got to start with.

Chris. 006.jpg

Chris. 007.jpg

Chris. 001.jpg

Chris. 002.jpg

Chris. 010.jpg

Chris. 008.jpg

Chris. 004.jpg

Chris. 003.jpg

Chris. 005.jpg

Chris. 020.jpg

I sanded the passenger side door & quarter panel yesterday. I found some bondo & rust. Still the outer wheel well is rust free & I'm very pleased with that. This car has had 4 different paint jobs in its life. I've never seen so many coats of paint, primer, sealer. Looking at the passenger side I thought it looked thick or different some how. But its better than some of the other prodjects I have done. Theres some kind of a hole in the trans tunel that who knows what its for or what happened. It looks like something pushed its way through the floor? I will fix that when I put the 4-speed tunel in it. All of the floor pans except the passenger side rear look great. I also tested the covertible top motor, no worky. I took it apart, I thought it was a little tight got I turning freely but still didnt work. The under side of the car has alot more that average unercoating. I'm not looking forward to taking it off but the day will come soon. I've been told that brake fluid works to losen it up. We will see.

Chris. 030.jpg

Chris. 031.jpg

Chris. 028.jpg

Chris. 029.jpg

Chris. 027.jpg

Man thats pretty wild! My tunnel on my 67 Dart GT conv. has the same exact hole. I wonder what caused it. Broken tranny mount maybe?

This car had a 225/904, I guess it was the victim of a neutral slam. Funny thing though I had a 68 Dart 440/727 that broke the rear mount & it broke the rear tail housing into, but it didnt make a dent in the tunnel. I will have to check it out when I get under it.

I pulled the 4-speed set up out of my pro steet build 68 Dart, (I'm going with a auto trans in the 68 & I dont want to take any chances of missing a shift and blowing the engine for the money I have in it). I cut out the floor on the converible for the hump & installed the trans. I havent welded the hump in yet. I was a little worried about opening the doors on the convertible with it on jack stands. I looked for body flex when I opened the door but I didnt notice any(I used to own a white 68 Dart 440/727. When the drivetrain was installed the first time I opened the door with it on jack stands the doors would not shut again untill it was back on the tires. I then put frame connecters in and that problem was eliminated) Anyway back to the convertible the doors opened and shut fine, of course I have no drive train installed as of yet, but I do have a set of frame connecters that I guess I should install anyway to be safe & solid. I havent got to the peddles yet maybe to night I'll get to it. I also cut out the rust on the lower rear quarter. I will weld in some metal later this week to fix that as well as the rear floor pan.

Chris. 034.jpg

Chris. 033.jpg

Chris. 032.jpg

Chris. 035.jpg

Chris. 037.jpg

Chris. 036.jpg

It's been a while since I posted. In June the wife was hospitalized w/ brain surgry & I got laid off, so it's been getting a little bit tougher to work on the car without alot of money. I have replaced the rusted sheet metal, but I'm not done with the body work yet, but I do have it close to being finished. I lost a little patience on the bodywork and decided to work on getting the power train installed. I have decided to go with a black paint job so the engine compartment was painted black. Found out my 340 block had a freeze crack in it & I came up with a 85 model 318 w/ less than 20,000 miles for $200.00. So I bought it & stuck it in the Dart. Its bone stock, 2 barral w/ A-body cast ex manifolds. Purrs like a kitten. I was pretty happy when I put in gear, relesed the clutch it moved on it's own. The car has a 8 1/4 rear w/ 2.46 gears. It moves along petty good in first gear, (I thought it was in 3rd). I also came up with a 3.55 geared limited slip gear assembly to put in it because I thought that the 2.46 gear would hurt the take off on normal driving but I moves out great. I wanted to build a dayly driver /cruiser out of it anyway. I also got the top to go up & down, That is cool as hell to see. Now back to the bondo. :toothy10:

01-08-09_1407.jpg

18-07-09_2227.jpg

18-07-09_2228.jpg

Lookin pretty good from here! Should be a beauty all covered in black.

I havent been on the site for a while now, my wife has been having some health issues but now she is doing better and I can get started working on my prodjects again.
This prodject has takin a step back wards, as it no longer has a engine. I installed a small comp cam 268H cam & lifters, a set of swrill port 308 heads, RPM air gap intake, & a Carter 750 carb on the little 318.
When I pulled the heads it had 4 vave relief flat top pistons in it and the pistons were still clean so it was well worth the $200.00 I paid for it.
It seemed run decent for what it was. I didnt get any photos of it because no sooner than I got it running one of my buds wanted a engine for his Dart (to get it on the street) so he traded me a set of BB Edelbrock RPM Performer heads for it!!!
So I now have a very good set of heads for my 68 Dart drag car w/500 engine.
I have a set of W-2 heads w/ intake, roller cam, roller rockers that I was collecting for my drag car. I might just go ahead and build a W-2 engine to power this convertible around, (only thing is the headers have one tube that requires to cut the inner fender wells and I dont know if I ought to do that to this car).
Its a factory slant six w/auto but its still a really nice car to be cutting on.
I will think about it for a while because this car is going on hold.
I'm going to start working on my drag car again, I've been letting it set, neglecting it for to long and now I have the parts to almost get it to the track.
So the convertible is going to storage for the winter.

Dam I have been doing alot of trading this year!! I traded off my Dart convertible for a car that I used to own. I traded it for my old 68 Dart that was my pride and joy. I wish that I would have never sold my 68 back then but when people start waving money in your face its kinda hard not to take the money. Who knows I might just up get back my convertible in the future. That would be cool.
But anyway I got my old car back and I have big plans for it.
I started A thread on my new prodject.
68 Dart 270- Pro Street 500cubes

DSC00149.jpg

-
Back