67 Dart GT Restomod

-

BobK

Custom Builder
Reaction score
Well, I've been a FABO member for years, just waiting for the right project to come along, and it finally did. I picked up a 67 Dart GT shell this weekend that needs some love, but is in pretty good shape overall. It came minus the engine and trans, but it has a 3.91 posi 8 3/4 rear in it, so that's a plus.

The plan is to turn it into something that's a daily driver, but that's also capable of some fun at the drag strip and the autocross track. I'm thinking 4-wheel disc, Hotchkis suspension, mini-tubs and relocated leafs, and either a 5.7 Hemi or a small block with EFI. Having recently swapped an LS engine into a 69 Camaro (I know- I used a bad word....), I really want that "turn the key and go" ability on this car as well.

Here's some pics of what I brought home, and some of the progress so far in getting her apart. There's some minor rust in the quarters, front floor pans, and spare tire well, and the cowl area needs a little attention, but overall, not too much rot.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 474
  • 14.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 479
  • 12.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 457
  • 10.JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 451
  • 8.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 451
  • 7.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 419
  • 6.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 461
  • 4.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 446
  • 2.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 451
Congratulations on the Dart. I love 67 - 69 Darts

That's awesome that it already has a posi 8 3/4 rear end! I like your vision for the car and will be following your progress :)

Nice car to start with! This was mine when I found it....
vbpgimage.php

Definitely a nice starting point! Looking forward to it's transformation

I lost a few weeks of quality shop time due to work, a family vacation, etc., but I got back in the shop this week. The car is now completely stripped other than the front suspension, which will come out tomorrow. No real surprises, other than a hood hinge that somehow lost its spring tension. I also found out what a PITA it is to get the quarter windows out, but they're out now.

I picked up a bigger compressor for the shop, so I should be able to do some media blasting on some of the harder parts to get to with a DA, like the engine bay. So now I've got to build some wheeled supports that I can use to get the car out of the shop for some blasting. Then it's on to rust repair, mini tubs, leaf spring relocation, and prep for either a 5.7L hemi or a 5.9 Magnum (haven't decided yet, but either will get an overdrive trans).

Attachments

• image.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 324
Ever thought about dipping it in acid and then primer? I am thinking of doing my fish that way.

The body isn't in bad enough shape to warrant that. It would be nice, but it's pretty expensive.

yes I agree. d a off all the paint you can get to, stripper for places on body you can't, a small sandblaster under engine comp and under where the fenders hide ukkk????? any pitted metal, I treat with Ospho or use comparable acid product. good epoxy primer and there you go!!???

congrats on finding a nice project!!!!

Awesome! Here's my 67 GT restomod for motivation. 5.7 swap... You won't be disappointed if that's the route you go.

Funny thing is I'm currently gathering parts for a LS swap in a Chevy truck...

Joe

Attachments

• image.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 287
Awesome! Here's my 67 GT restomod for motivation. 5.7 swap... You won't be disappointed if that's the route you go.

Funny thing is I'm currently gathering parts for a LS swap in a Chevy truck...

Joe

Nice. Do you have a build thread for your Hemi swap?

Yes. No. Sort of... I started a build thread but i haven't updated it since my son was born I think. I've since had a daughter and well. So my Free time usually goes to a bunch other stuff than updates... I even have pics of most of the build just haven't done the posting... I need to just finish it...

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=59806

The car sits currently with factory K frontend with 930 bars, 11.75 discs, caltracs rear with 3.73's and 10.7 discs. 5.7 hemi with a comp 268 cam, FAST controlled, 727 with about a 3500 stall (too much). Interior is speedhut gauges and WRX buckets recovered to look factory. The rest of the interior is mostly stockish all the GT chrome is stripped from the exterior except the badges. I've got just under 1000 miles on the swap.

OD trans is in the works, I'm pinching my pennies for that at the moment.

It's been a busy week, but I finally got back in the shop. I ordered front floor pans, a spare tire well, lower quarters and lower fender patches from Auto Body Specialties, and they showed up in two days (great service!).

The first order of business was to get the floor pans in. The plan was then to do the spare tire well, so I got that cut out and ready to install, and realized I didn't have enough CO2/Argon to weld it in (and none of the supply houses are open on Saturday), so I switched gears and sanded the roof so I could get a coat of epoxy on it when I shot the floor pan patches. I like to get a coat of epoxy on everything early, since it just looks cleaner and it's easier to see what needs attention. Once I get some gas, I'll get back on welding in the tire well and then on to other needed patches/repairs.

Attachments

• 25.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 231
  • 26.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 215
  • 27.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 218
  • 28.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 221
  • 30.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 234
  • 29.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 234
  • 31.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 258
Man I love those 67's. Used to have one myself. Right now I am laying the groundwork for a 5.9 efi in my 68 val. Lots of good info over in the magnum swap thread. Also at dakotart.com.

Is that serpentine pipe up on your wall a air dryer? If so how does it work for you?

CE

Is that serpentine pipe up on your wall a air dryer? If so how does it work for you?

CE

It seems to be working well- I just hooked it up the other day, but so far, no signs of moisture in the tools or gun. There's a Harbor Freight industrial air filter/regulator on the end of the line, too, and that's supposed to help as well.

Finally getting around to posting some pics of the progress over the last few weekends. First up- replacement of the spare tire well. I still need to get some filler on the weld to blend it into the top of the trunk, but it's in epoxy for now.

Attachments

• 34.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 183
  • 33.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 186
  • 32.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 188
  • 7.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 180
Next, I moved on to the cowl, which has some rotted sections due to the crappy cowl vent design that allowed dirt, pine needles, etc., to build up. Thankfully, there was no rot inside around the fresh air intakes, but the engine compartment side needed some love, including fabricating a patch that isn't available aftermarket.

Attachments

• 38.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 185
  • 39.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 192
  • 40.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 177
I've never been a big fan of the cowl grilles (especially since this one was all rusty and would be a PITA to get clean), so I cut it out and filled it with a solid panel. I'll create some fresh air intakes that will pull air from the wheelwells and not be impacted by rain and debris.

Attachments

• 44.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 171
  • 43.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 193
  • 42.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 182
  • 41.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 166
Then it was on to the lower rear quarter patches. The left side needed a replacement for the trunk dropoff, since it was rusted enough that it wouldn't take a weld. Rather than spending $150 for the aftermarket replacement, I fabbed up a vertical piece and left the horizontal piece in place in the trunk, since it was in great shape. They still need a final swipe of filler after the epoxy, but they blended in nicely.

Attachments

• 53.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 136
  • 52.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 173
  • 51.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 171
  • 37.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 187
  • 36.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 141
  • 35.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 127
Next was the engine compartment. I started stripping the passenger fenderwell with a polycarbide disc from Harbor Freight, and while it worked great, sandblasting was definitely the better option. I borrowed my neighbor's pressure pot and put about 200lbs of fine Black Diamond through it to clean off the firewall, the other fenderwell, and the radiator support. It worked like a charm, other than having grit in every crevice of my body for the next few day (it even got in my wallet somehow....lol).

I welded up the majority of the un-used holes in the fenderwells, and shot it all with some epoxy. Final smoothing and bodywork to follow eventually.

Attachments

• 50.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 173
  • 49.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 170
  • 48.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 158
  • 47.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 163
  • 46.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 161
Last update for today- the passenger wheelhouse. It looked like there was a tire blowout or something at some point, as the truck floor, extension and wheelhouse were ripped apart. Some cleanup, some hammer and dolly work, and a whole lot of pulling and clamping got it all back together, and I put enough welds in there to hold it in place. The seam sealer will cover the welds, and no one will ever know it was an issue.

Attachments

• 54.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 186
  • 55.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 182
  • 56.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 163
-
Back