'67 Dart GTS, 4spd., center console R&R

-

Bruzer

Reaction score
I'm brand new here and am hoping to find answer to how to remove the center console on my 67 Dart GTS convertible, 4spd. car. It appears the screws that hold the slide-open, ashtray body, to the center console housing are missing, so the ashtray housing itself is hanging down(Had a piece of cardboard wedged underneath it for support when I bought the car.) I don't see any way to secure the dangling ashtray body without access to the bottom side of center console. Any help here would be greatly appreciated. This is my first classic muscle car purchase and I'd like to get this taken care of before it brakes away from bottom of console.

Welcome in Bruzer. We love pics, so post some of your when you can. Also, introduce yourself in the "Welcome Wagon" section...give us a little history on your car, and you too! Here's a pic of the ashtray mounting area...hope it helps.

To remove the console from the car, there are 2 screws inside the console storage area at the bottom of the console that need to be removed, and there are 2 screws at the front of the console on the sides as well. Being a 4 gear, I think the console then just slides up and off the shifter. I'm sure others will chime if if I'm wrong.

Attachments

• Console bottom.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 187
Thank you very much 65Val, I'll jump on that right away today. Only other concern with this small project is being able to slide shift lever boot over shift lever due to the reverse lock-out T-handle at top of shift lever, but will give it a try.

Not sure how the boot comes off...mine's an automatic...look for a set screw or,maybe the handles screw on and off?

I want to thank Mr. 65Val for his helpful tips. Got console off ok and miraculously was able to resecure bezel from bottom side well enough to hold everything in place, considering several of the threaded shafts were already broken off (plenty of worm tracks evident). But I noticed that the semi-dome shaped piece on the left side console is missing. anyone have a tip on where one might find such a piece. Only reason I know it was missing is that I saw one in a photo posted somewhere on this web site. Which reminds me, I can't get over just how helpful this site is and how friendly all those A-Body gurus are, much less their vast amount of knowledge on most all subjects. Please keep up the good works fellas cause students like me have a lot to learn. :) P.S. I hope to have a photo of my pride and joy up here real soon.

Which reminds me, I can't get over just how helpful this site is and how friendly all those A-Body gurus are, much less their vast amount of knowledge on most all subjects. Please keep up the good works fellas cause students like me have a lot to learn.

Sooooo true! :D

-
Back