67 Dart Rear tire width?

-

Mike D

Reaction score
I have a 67 Dart that presently has 226 R60 15 radial TA's.

The tires give a nice ride but it's easy to spin them. I'm looking for something that would fit within the stock wells that I could slap on when I feel like stomping on it light to light.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

The other part of the equation is the final gear in the 4 speed is a 3/4 to 1 ratio because I like the low rpms at cruise and the top end that doesn't seem to ever stop pulling. The rice rocket crowd hates it when I blow past them on the top end :finga:

So is there a compromise available that would allow me to leave hard and yet give me endless top end?

I'm guessing not, but I've just returned to playing with fast cars after 20 years so I thought I'd ask.

Good luck , TA's = no traction , trouble is not many street tires in 15" size that have decent traction , M/T drag radials , but they don't last long and are terrible in rain . With TA'S only race from 40 mph on , if I stomp on it at 20 mph it;s a smoke show .

Best bet is to measure how much clearance you have now. It's easy to see how much bigger a tire will fit. You need about 1/2" clearance at the fender lip, and about 1/4" at the leaf spring. If you want to go even bigger, measure your wheel's backspacing. By changing wheels you can gain clearance on whatever side is needed.
If you want my guess, with 7" wheels with 4 3/8" backspacing, you can only fit a 235/60-15 tire under there. That's the absolute limit I have on my '69 Dart.

Best bet is to measure how much clearance you have now. It's easy to see how much bigger a tire will fit. You need about 1/2" clearance at the fender lip, and about 1/4" at the leaf spring. If you want to go even bigger, measure your wheel's backspacing. By changing wheels you can gain clearance on whatever side is needed.
If you want my guess, with 7" wheels with 4 3/8" backspacing, you can only fit a 235/60-15 tire under there. That's the absolute limit I have on my '69 Dart.
That is the limit on my 70 Dart as well , some seem to have more room though .

I think your car would go better width both rear tires....

-
Back