67 Hemi Notch build

-

1SavCuda

Reaction score
Hi gang,
My name is Terry. I am hesitant to create this thread, because I'm not good at taking pics of the car and progress, but I will try my best. Progress will be slow. I can only work on car on the weekends, and I have to drive 2 hours to garage. And I'm building a new garage right now as well.
For the background:
Dad bought the car in 1970 as a 318 4 speed. Dark Blue. I don't know how many miles, but it looked in good shape, and dad said he paid $300 for it!
Dad was a drag racer in mid Kansas in the 60's/70's. He raced IHRA/AHRA Stock and Super Stock. This was the last car he built. He built as an AHRA 68 Super Stock A. From what I can tell, AHRA was pretty liberal with the rules at that time. Basically - same year car and same year motor, and lots of modifications legal. Anyways, long story short, dad blew the motor @ 8700 rpm grudge racing a motorcycle. I still have the tattle tale tach somewhere in the garage.
Flash forward to around 1984. 17 yr old Terry wants to build car. Dad and Terry build 426 hemi ( sleeved block that come out of a alcohol funny car ) with 12.50:1 compression, .616" isky cam, Weiand tunnel ram, 2 Holley 2 barrels (!) and a Pete Jackson gear drive. Dana 60 with 4:11 gears ( I traded my dads spool and 5:13's for the posi and 4:11's). 727 tranny w/reverse shift pattern. I got a Hurst Quarter Stick from one of my uncles as a high school graduation present! I forgot to mention, I bought a set of stock hemi heads from an add off National Dragster for $400.00
First time we started the engine in the garage, I burned the hair off my arms and eyebrows from the backfire while working the carb linkage. If that didn't scare me enough, the roar of the engine inside the garage shook thru my whole body, and scared out the rest of the crap that was still in me. I started the car a few more times after that, and it never ran since.
Life happened. Dad had some issues. Terry went to college...married..had most incredible son...got divorced...moved on.
Flash further forward to Nov 2015. Terry is in great position in life. Happy, stable job, wants dead sexy car. Audi S5 moves to top of wish list. Terry see's most incredible son for dinner. Sons says "great choice, but wouldn't you rather have a hot rod?" Darn kid is right. 50K on Audi...or 50K on one of a kind hot rod. Which leads me to now.
Dec 15 - Terry makes action plan. Clean dads 30 years of junk out of garage. Move hot rod in. Make new improved hot rod from race car.
Oct 2016. Dads garage is cleaned out. Hot rod now inside after 20 years of outside storage.
March 2017. Snow melts! Clean up of car begins! This thing had mouse turds, squirrel leavin's, spiders and about 10 pounds of acorns in it. But surprisingly, not much rust at all.
Bought rotisserie from a guy who lives 12 miles away off Craigslist. How lucky can I be.
Thanks to many articles here on FABO, I have completely gutted the car down to the shell.
I did start to prime and bodywork the car many years ago before life affected me.
Sept 1 2017. Rolled car onto new concrete slab for said garage I am building. Surface like glass. Sept 2 - had car dustless blasted. Sept 3 - started to coat car in SPI black Epoxy w/Harbor Freight gun w/regulator. Worked very well. Over the last few weeks I have coated most of the car now in epoxy - except for inside trunk and passenger quarter - which will all be replaced. Part of my plan was to attend a welding class from local community college. 32 hours of instruction. I had welded a little bit in high school and could braze, but after some instruction and seat time, I'm confident in my abilities.
Without further adieu........her name is Maybelline.

862.JPG

882.JPG

969.JPG

921.JPG

1317.JPG

1316.JPG

1427.JPG

1394.JPG

Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to watching the progress. I've also got a '67 coupe, someday planning to build it similar to what your dad did - Super Tricks and all.

Thanks for sharing! Extremely cool car and cool story. Life, family, hotrods..... they all have to be balanced and ebb and flow. Looking forward to watching your progress!

I had a 69 barracuda in high school in the 80s. I am currently looking for a 69 notch to build much like you are except the hemi..... my pockets just arent that deep, but certainly big block and 4 speed.

Good luck with the welding!

A few pics of the car before and after blasting. Yes - there was sand everywhere, and if I had to do it again, I would have bought some of the hold tite product and kept washing the car down and removed much more sand at the time.
I had done some painting when I was a kid. I actually worked for my father one summer in a sheetmetal factory. I was a line painter when I didn't have any machine programming or engineering stuff to do. The SPI epoxy is very easy to use and spray. After some routine adjustments to my HF gun, it went on pretty nice. Wont use it for base or clear, but for the epoxy it was perfect. And I have never used a hvlp gun and set up before, so I didn't want to spend the money without having the experience. You tube reviews of the HF gun are spot on - clean the crap out of it. Seemed to having something like dried Elmer's glue stuck inside of it.

1497.JPG

1498.JPG

1729.JPG

1732.JPG

1738.JPG

1746.JPG

1759.JPG

1749.JPG

1755.JPG

Subscibed! I too had many life "challenges". Managed to hang on to my Dart Sport with a deathgrip through it all. Slowly plugging away at my build. Still in teardown mode. Also waiting on my aluminum HEMI from Tim Banning of FHO. Had to do it. I'll be watching your build while I do mine!

Subscibed! I too had many life "challenges". Managed to hang on to my Dart Sport with a deathgrip through it all. Slowly plugging away at my build. Still in teardown mode. Also waiting on my aluminum HEMI from Tim Banning of FHO. Had to do it. I'll be watching your build while I do mine!
Hey mzak88, what part of kelowna are you from, have we crossed paths before? Yellow dart sport?

Hey mzak88, what part of kelowna are you from, have we crossed paths before? Yellow dart sport?
I'm originally from Langley, just move here for really good job 2 1/2 years ago. Bought a place in Rutland. My car has not been driven since '89 and is blue. My build thread is "74 Hemi Dart sport"

-
Back