67 impala...i know right

-

gniknayrb18

Reaction score
so my sister in law wants me to fix her 67 impala.... it has a 283 and its losing vacuum in between the carb and intake. i took the carb off and it has a carb stud rusted off to the point of nothing there...tired to drill it and eas it out and snap....so fast forward to now.... it now has a new eddy performer intake and a new eddy 650 with vacuum secondaries.. im trying to figure out where this hose coming from the back of the block under the dizzy might go to, it was hooked up to the 2 bbl quardajet but not familiar with how this thing was set up. i know alot of you are gonna ask for pics and i will get some as soon as i get back to the car but i know some of you older mechanics might know what im asking about. any help would be appreciated

I believe the old GM trans use vacume to shift the trans. modulator?

This ^^ Ferd and Chivvie both used it.

Probably the modulator valve line. There may be a canister of sorts on the side of the trans with a line attached to it, if so, hook the other end to ported vacuum.

This ^^ Ferd and Chivvie both used it.

Probably the modulator valve line. There may be a canister of sorts on the side of the trans with a line attached to it, if so, hook the other end to ported vacuum.

X a bunch but not ported because they run off full manifold vacuum, and if it smokes like a pig and won't shift the modulator is probably why.
When the diaphragm in it goes bad it lets trans fluid get sucked up into the intake.

67 is probably a 2 speed powerglide trans though unless it's been changed.

Sorry there Badsport, but it's true.

the line you are talking about is already hooked up to the manifold where it came off of originally... im thinking this is some kind of vent for the block...i have it blocked off and got the motor running but it runs rough. i will try and get the timing right and set the advance and will see what happens after that

How big is the line? Some of the earlier 283's ,used road draft tubes to ventilate crankcase pressure.

X a bunch but not ported because they run off full manifold vacuum, and if it smokes like a pig and won't shift the modulator is probably why.
When the diaphragm in it goes bad it lets trans fluid get sucked up into the intake.

67 is probably a 2 speed powerglide trans though unless it's been changed.

Sorry there Badsport, but it's true.

Hmmm, I just replaced the modulator on my wife's 73 Comet last Friday, it is hooked to ported, I thought. Now I have to go double check.:banghead:

I was thinking the same thing about the slushbox.

yes trail it is a 2 speed and its all original...i wish it would quit raining so i could try and figure this thing out

so i got the car running yesterday and while it was running there was quit a bit of smoke coming from this hose so im pretty confident that it is a vent hose...if it is can i route this into a pcv and use it to circulate it back into the carb and motor

Yup the early V8s didn't have any holes in the valve covers.Oil fill had a breather and was on the front of the intake and the rear breather on the back of the block.

thank guys i appreciate it ive got it running again but now i cant seam to get it to run past an idle...i must have a vacuum leak somewhere

-
Back