67' steering wheel (repairable?)

-

69fstbkcuda

Reaction score
Thinking about restoring my original steering wheel... It might be to far gone?
The copper ring for the horn is banged up, is it replaceable/repairable?
Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 131
It is but you can probaly buy another 1 for less than you will have in this one by the time your done

I got a nice used one with horn ring i payed $100 for. No cracks. My old one was just as bad as this one.

I did redo a 1960 impala wheel for a guy once, i sandblasted all tge cracks, and JB welded everything, then i sanded the jb weld smooth, epoxy primered, and 1960 chevy bright red dupont gloss coat. It seemed ok for a number of years then the car was sold and i dont see it anymore. I think the big key is preparation.

I went ahead and jb welded it... What grit sand paper did you use for your 1st sand? I'm just experimenting with this wheel... If I can find another wheel I'll more than likely buy it.
Thanks

I used a kit that was 2 part epoxy called PC-7. That stuff was tuff to say the least. I found that you really needed to work it to rough shape before it really hardend up fully. I used an air grinder and dremmel at first. Once I worked with it a bit I found it easier to rough in with graters and files before full set then used progressive grades of emery cloth to get right. At least 40 hours of work to final paint and clear coat. You have to really want it!!!

I used a kit that was 2 part epoxy called PC-7. That stuff was tuff to say the least. I found that you really needed to work it to rough shape before it really hardend up fully. I used an air grinder and dremmel at first. Once I worked with it a bit I found it easier to rough in with graters and files before full set then used progressive grades of emery cloth to get right. At least 40 hours of work to final paint and clear coat. You have to really want it!!!

X2 on the PC-7 epoxy . that's what I used. your copper ring is going to be the hardest fix.
it might be cheaper to get one that doesn't have that copper damage. other than that if you want to fix it all it takes is time patience. and a lot of different grinders files and sandpaper.

I fixed a "throw it away by anyone else " wheel that way

before
View attachment DSCF3016.jpg

and after

View attachment DSCF3011.jpg

of course I screwed up and didn't have my top ordered yet so when it came in I had to reshoot the tan parts of the interior to buckskin #%$%#%

-
Back