67 valiant slant trans to 77 truck slant trans

-

CALYPTO-6

Reaction score
Okay so I have a 1967 Valiant with a slant six and I was wondering if a transmission out of a 1977 Slant six truck would bolt up to it

It will physically bolt to the motor; however, the problem is the 77 torque converter. The nose of the converter is larger than the opening in the back of the crank. One solution (but expensive if you can even find a converter company to do it)) is to have a converter made with the earlier small snout nose and internally with the 77's spline count. You can't use a pre-68 converter as the spline count and nose size changed in 68.

It will physically bolt to the motor; however, the problem is the 77 torque converter. The nose of the converter is larger than the opening in the back of the crank. One solution (but expensive if you can even find a converter company to do it)) is to have a converter made with the earlier small snout nose and internally with the 77's spline count. You can't use a pre-68 converter as the spline count and nose size changed in 68.
Ah I see now thanks a million

Can I use the transmission out of the truck will it bolt up in the car

They changed the crank pilot in 68. If you can get the motor and trans grab it,everything else will fit or crossover.

Actually I got that wrong I'm trying to take the motor out of the truck and put it in the Valiant worst case scenario can I put the motor and transmission out of the truck in the Valiant

Yes the motor out of the truck will bolt to your 67 transmission. Get with Charrlie_S to buy a bushing to use Your 67 transmission and small snout converter with the later crank. Or, use the complete 77 engine and transmission as a unit. Being from a 3/4 ton truck, it probably has a 727 which will fit into the 67 body.

EDIT: I would probably use the 77 engine transmission as long as both are in good shape.

EDIT #2 - if the 77 transmission is for a 4WD, then no can't use in the 67

Last edited:
Yes the motor out of the truck will bolt to your 67 transmission. Get with Charrlie_S to buy a bushing to use Your 67 transmission and small snout converter with the later converter. Or, use the complete 77 engine and transmission as a unit. Being from a 3/4 ton truck, it probably has a 727 which will fit into the 67 body.

EDIT: I would probably use the 77 engine transmission as long as both are in good shape.

EDIT #2 - if the 77 transmission is for a 4WD, then no can't use in the 67
No it 2wd setup

-
Back