670 Street Avenger running rich

-

one mile

Reaction score
Haven't been on here in a while but I have a 670 Street avenger on a Mild SBC that is running real rich at Idle. I have read MANY articals saying this is a common problem. Well what the hell was the FIX ! Lol ! nobody actually has said "That fixed my problem Thank You !" most threads end without and answer.....I have gone through everything I have read about setting up carbs and at 1 time i personally thought I was pretty good "Back in the day" but not now....Is there anything actually wrong with this series of Holley? ANYBODY got any positive input ? Thanks everyone. Tim
UPDATE ...I have gone the regular gambit of PV, Jet and Gasket changes all the way to new metering block.

Last edited:
The best place for a Holley [ or clone ] is to never remove it from the box it comes in.....

Have you checked the usual suspects:
- flooding
- float level
- choke staying on [ if equipped ]
- do the idle mixture screws adjust the idle. Screwing them IN should kill the engine. If not, the engine is getting extra fuel from somewhere, most likely from t/blades open too far exposing excessive T slot [ 0.040" or less of T slot should be showing at idle ].

You say 'mild' SBC. Cam? Cu in? Intake?

The best place for a Holley [ or clone ] is to never remove it from the box it comes in.....

Have you checked the usual suspects:
- flooding
- float level
- choke staying on [ if equipped ]
- do the idle mixture screws adjust the idle. Screwing them IN should kill the engine. If not, the engine is getting extra fuel from somewhere, most likely from t/blades open too far exposing excessive T slot [ 0.040" or less of T slot should be showing at idle ].

You say 'mild' SBC. Cam? Cu in? Intake?
STD Bore Vortec 350, aluminum Performer RPM, Vortec heads with bowl work and multi angle valve job, Spring kit, PC Valve seals clearanced for high lift cam, V2 Speed pro Flat top pistons , DUI Distributor set up for car specs, XE 270 HR
COMP Cams - Performance Camshafts, Lifters, Valve Springs, Rocker Arms

• Duration @ 0.006": 270° / 276°
  • Lobe Separation: 110°
  • Duration @ 0.050": 218° / 224°
  • Max Lift w/ 1.5RR: .495" / .502"
camshaft and all balanced assembly. Its in a '56 wagon I have had for 25+ years just a playtoy

Last edited:
Secondary transfer slots overexposed?
As far as I can tell its "Square" before I put it on. Mabe have to pull it back off to dbl check with the shank of a .020 drill bit. Visually it Looks ok..... Talking about transfer slots......pentastar69

-
Back