68 340/68 valiant ?

-

flathead31coupe

Reaction score
this is what i have to work with. 68 340, 0.60 pistons purple cam 284/484, 8 3/4 3:55 sure grip. 727 trans and a 3000 tci stall,going in a 68 valiant, any suggestions, to get the best out of what i have to work with, and any ideas of what this combo is capablel of....

Yeah, just bolt it all together. Probably run some strong 12s with slicks.

this is what i have to work with. 68 340, 0.60 pistons purple cam 284/484, 8 3/4 3:55 sure grip. 727 trans and a 68 valiant, any suggestions, to get the best out of what i have to work with, and any ideas of what this combo is capablel of....

Do you have to go .060 or just want too.....if you have to I strongly suggest getting it sonic ck'd.......many of those blocks are done at .040
and some are ok.....either way have it ck'd.....JM.02 8)

Rickster

thats the way it was when i got it....

are these all fresh machined parts....????? Sorry but your info is a li'l vague....to give any recommendations.

As stated above.....screw it together and run it, that will give you a definate power figure.

Rickster

are these all fresh machined parts....????? Sorry but your info is a li'l vague....to give any recommendations.

As stated above.....screw it together and run it, that will give you a definate power figure.

Rickster
again sorry for that, all new rebuild engine.... and a tci 3000 stall, with 28 x 9.0 x 15 hurst slicks

I don't know, those 28 inch tires and 3.55's aren't going in the 12's, unless those cars are no more than 3,000 lbs.

It love 4.10 gears but not sure you will if the exhaust is loud--which like all are, lol. I run my 26 inch tires and 3.91's @ 75 mph plus for 10-15 miles. I run two high flow mufflers on each pipe to cut the noise down. Still its rocking. What a breeze keeping up with traffic is8)

Its a good combo and 3.55's are super gears for freeway driving, just don't expect 12.90's, IMO

I don't know, those 28 inch tires and 3.55's aren't going in the 12's, unless those cars are no more than 3,000 lbs.

It love 4.10 gears but not sure you will if the exhaust is loud--which like all are, lol. I run my 26 inch tires and 3.91's @ 75 mph plus for 10-15 miles. I run two high flow mufflers on each pipe to cut the noise down. Still its rocking. What a breeze keeping up with traffic is8)

Its a good combo and 3.55's are super gears for freeway driving, just don't expect 12.90's, IMO
thats what i need to know, what would be best for street and strip, the cars weighs in at 3,070, may be i need to go with a shorter slick, less gear, then go with a taller tire for street use

I think 3000 pounds would be pushin it for a 68 Valiant....I may be off base.

thats what i need to know, what would be best for street and strip, the cars weighs in at 3,070, may be i need to go with a shorter slick, less gear, then go with a taller tire for street use

That's not bad. I don't think high 12s are outta the question if you can drive well and follow the MP suspension manual. Read the 13 second recipe in the Mopar book. Although it says 3.91 gear, the maximum weight is well over what you are. I don't think 12.90s are out of the question. Might take some time tunin to get there. the book also says only 9 to 1 compression and you probably have more. You also have more camshaft.

That's not bad. I don't think high 12s are outta the question if you can drive well and follow the MP suspension manual. Read the 13 second recipe in the Mopar book. Although it says 3.91 gear, the maximum weight is well over what you are. I don't think 12.90s are out of the question. Might take some time tunin to get there. the book also says only 9 to 1 compression and you probably have more. You also have more camshaft.
well iam down to rear gear, the 3.55 i have now, or 4.56.....and my 3000 stall

That sounds like a good street combo, the cam is like a street hemi grind and the torque converter is not radical. Unless you plan to do a lot of street light to street light action I would keep the 3.55, it`s enough to get you going but not so much gear you can`t go out of town. Although I agree a 3.91 or 4.10 would make for some great hole shots you will probably appreciate the 3.55 in the long run.

That sounds like a good street combo, the cam is like a street hemi grind and the torque converter is not radical. Unless you plan to do a lot of street light to street light action I would keep the 3.55, it`s enough to get you going but not so much gear you can`t go out of town. Although I agree a 3.91 or 4.10 would make for some great hole shots you will probably appreciate the 3.55 in the long run.
i see what iam shooting for is, we are putting togeather a 69 dart as well it has a 360 with magnum heads, nice cam and a 4.10 gear, and a stall, around here we do alittle 1/4 mile street fun, i just want to do something with my vailant, to surprise him when we get togeather to run them.... any other suggestions

Here's a 340 in a 68 VE Valiant.....goes pretty well....don't know what it does at the 1/4.

IMGP4983.jpg

Here's a 340 in a 68 VE Valiant.....goes pretty well....don't know what it does at the 1/4.

A beauty....except for the MC being on the passenger's side :angry7:

Rickster

A beauty....except for the MC being on the passenger's side :angry7:

Rickster

That is actually the drivers side......you know, British colonial stuff, drive on the left side of the road......to do with swinging a sword by right-handers....type history stuff, and all that.
I reckon it would be weird to swap cogs with my righthand.....I am righthanded.
Many years ago, I knew a bloke from Santiago ( spelling???)....and he was visiting here.....he was sh!tting himself sitting on the left side of my ute.....was funny as.

That is actually the drivers side......you know, British colonial stuff, drive on the left side of the road......to do with swinging a sword by right-handers....type history stuff, and all that.
I reckon it would be weird to swap cogs with my righthand.....I am righthanded.
Many years ago, I knew a bloke from Santiago ( spelling???)....and he was visiting here.....he was sh!tting himself sitting on the left side of my ute.....was funny as.

I actually spent 3 weeks and toured England, Scotland and Wales back in the 70's.....had a blast in a li'l english ford.....that was a great vacation and made some wonderful friends....!!!!!!! 8)

Was just jerk'n your chain on the MC 8)

Rickster

That's cool.....England, eh?......Very different to here, where you can drive for a few hundred k's and not see a town.....doesn't rain as often.....sometimes green, mostly brown landscape. We actually got a heap of rain last night and today...hasn't rained for about 2 months or so.....it is winter hear...the dry season......so things may green up a bit.

-
Back