68-69 Black Sport Steering Wheel. WIW?

-

JimK

Reaction score
I have a what's it worth question. I bought this black sport steering wheel to restore for a 68 Dart I had but which I have since sold. I started restoring it but basically stopped when I sold the car. It had two cracks in it which I filled with epoxy as you can see in the photos. The spokes have been media blasted and primed. It just needs to be finished as the spokes and grip need to be painted. I have decided to sell it since I don't plan on buying anymore A-bodies but I'm not sure what it is worth. I tried looking for some examples of these wheels for sale to get an idea on what to ask for it but didn't have much luck. What do you think?

68-69 Sport steering wheel.JPG

68-69 Sport steering wheel 2.JPG

68-69 Sport steering wheel 3.JPG

68-69 Sport steering wheel 4.JPG

The spokes are stainless so the work done has hurt value. It is hard to say and a bummer someone would blast it. The plastic outer part does not look bad. To get it back the metal needs to be polished and may be hard to do without effecting the rim.

Are you sure they were chrome? My original sure seems to be stainless.

Last edited:
One way to be sure is work a small area of sanding through the grits and a little polish. You will surely know at that point.

Chrome is shiny, mine is a more of a Brushed finish. It shines more like A Matt stainless finish and never had any rust pits.

Go stick a magnet to it, if it does`nt stick it`s good ss . Although low grade ss is magnetic it won`t have as much pull as comparable thickness mild steel.

Definitely stainless. The aftermarket repos ones are over polished and listed as stainless. You can clearly see the difference between other chrome pieces in the interior and the wheel spokes. The ring under the plastic and the mounting center of the wheel is not. This wheel was just cleaned for resto and the plastic repaired as good as I could.

D296B8EB-0FD5-44E3-B88F-43A63C40A1A5.jpeg

So after some deeper research I see the term satin chrome used. Never heard of that, the finish surely looks like satin brushed stainless. It most surely is not shiny like most chrome. When I did my wheel it appeared the outer rim and center was welded to a different material than the spokes. Now I am questioning that. There was dirt and junk on the spokes but not rust pits. Washed clean with a scoungegy and soap.

I have a what's it worth question. I bought this black sport steering wheel to restore for a 68 Dart I had but which I have since sold. I started restoring it but basically stopped when I sold the car. It had two cracks in it which I filled with epoxy as you can see in the photos. The spokes have been media blasted and primed. It just needs to be finished as the spokes and grip need to be painted. I have decided to sell it since I don't plan on buying anymore A-bodies but I'm not sure what it is worth. I tried looking for some examples of these wheels for sale to get an idea on what to ask for it but didn't have much luck. What do you think?

View attachment 1715166139

View attachment 1715166140

View attachment 1715166143

View attachment 1715166144

One Million Dollars.jpg

-
Back