68 abody id markings

-

ch1ll

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
are vin numbers stamped on the radiator support and the rim of the trunk under the rubber seal on 1968 a bodies like on the 1969 a bodies?

Not all had numbers. I have had quite a few with no numbers stamped at all 68 through 72. If the body that was designated for the line with the body stampings had a mis-hap or for some reason or another and was deemed unusable due to a defect it was replaced with a body from the train.

This was the major reason that some bodies had torque boxes missing and other things that did not go along with the designated body build sheet. I have had, One 68 dart , one 69 dart . two 71 swinger's. three 71 Duster's, and one 72 demon. Out of these cars two were 4 spd. cars without torque boxes. And could tell the hump and clutch bracket were not the same welds and or sealer.

Although as I have stated in previous threads many cars were reconstructed at dealers when repaired. When they were wrecked bad when they were new. Never expect the numbers to always be there and if they are different they could be cars that were repaired using new or used parts. I Have pics of Dusters with no package tray numbers ever . The stamp in the tray leaves a stretch mark that is permanent when stamped.

-
Back