68 barracuda 318 oil pressure reading

-

Stihl011

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I just got my gauges working. Oil pressure seems to be reading a bit low. (See attached) I figure it should be in the middle somewhere. Before I go troubleshooting further, can anyone tell me what tick mark their oil pressure gauge reads normally?

409A24A2-3218-4939-BC06-AD4B292186B3.jpeg

I just got my gauges working. Oil pressure seems to be reading a bit low. (See attached) I figure it should be in the middle somewhere. Before I go troubleshooting further, can anyone tell me what tick mark their oil pressure gauge reads normally?

View attachment 1715719535

Don't trust the stock gauges... Get an aftermarket mechanical gauge if you want accurate numbers...

We have no basis for comparison. If the above reading on the gauge is at idle, it's ok. If it's at 5,000 RPM, you have an issue. If you will look in your factory service manual, you'll see the spec is given at 2000 RPM I believe.

Hey Stihl011,

As krazykuda said, a separate gauge,preferably a mechanical one temporarily screwed into the sending unit hole in the block,is a much better way to check oil pressure. I was going to mount one inside my cuda permanently but members on here convinced me not to as if the oil line broke, it would dump oil into the interior of the car. Point taken.
Here's something you can check that I ran into with my cluster resto. Make sure the gauge housing behind the clear plastic lens is not hitting the gauge pointer. (the circular black piece with the chrome trim ring). I was chasing this problem forever until in desperation, I took the cluster back out and discovered the orange pointer was hitting the plastic housing about 1/4 way up the scale. Probably happened when I was pressing in on the cluster to re-install it. If your oil pressure was ok before you took it out, its a good bet there is a problem with the gauges and not your engine.

not to hijack the thread. AAndrews - I was going to mount one inside my cuda permanently but members on here convinced me not to as if the oil line broke, it would dump oil into the interior of the car. Point taken.

when installing aftermarket gauges in my different cars I had I always use copper lines instead of those plastic lines the come with the oil gauge, I've never had a problem with the copper line in my cars.

Just for reference. My stone stock 50K mile 1970 318 has a hot pressure at idle around 15-20 PSI. Hot at 2000 rpm it's 55 PSI this is with 10-40W oil.

Also it can be ur sending unit that is making the gauge read low. Where is it at cold? I see that is cold. Where is it warmed up? Kim

-
Back