68 Barracuda. 383 or Hemi?

-

Jadwell

Reaction score
I could use some advise on a project I am working on.

I am currently restoring my 68 Barracuda 4-speed 383-S convertible. Galen has it listed as 1 of 12 known to exist. The car does not have the original engine. It has a 69 motor, every other aspect of the car is original.

My question is, what would make the car more desireable? leave the 69 383 HP in it. Put a 68 vintage Hemi in or a new Hemi crate motor/w modern electronics.

Any advise/insite/wisdom you folks may have would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

If it was my car I would leave it as a stock appearing 383; just because it doesn't have the matching numbers engine is not a huge issue in my opinion. Once you start the modification process for a hemi install it becomes one of hundreds versus one of eleven.

How about some pictures of the car?

If you have everything to install a 383 and make it look Factory stock and that is what you want, do that. If your going to run headers, modify the engine drastically etc, then do what pleases you, it's your money and your car to enjoy, not others.

If your going to modify, I vote Modern Hemi, lighter and you can't beat fuel injection for reliability and economy.

Have you considered a 496 stroker kit for the 383? It would fit in the car better than the Hemi, make tons of torque, and considering it is such a rare car, it could retain somewhat of a stock appearance.

Gentlemen,

Thank you for your replies. I do plan on selling the car. I bought it with the intention of doing so. Like most restoration projects the budget has long been shot. I like the idea of leaving the engine I have in it. I have a few people bending my ear to do something a little more sexy. I am more of a purist.

I will put some photos up soon.

Thank you!

-
Back